Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   
Print
Author Topic: The Heart of Darkness  (Read 1700 times)
Tin
is
Better Than Papa!

Curry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:26 PM »

and the protagonist didn't faint this time
Lol yes you're right! Laugh

Zuki-Chana [Jun 12 11:44 AM]: Shut up
le Avatars:
Cai Lun
? block
Pig Pauly
Brain
Cartoon Einstein
UNDERTALE!
PNC 2013 Finals
Void
Golden Papa Louie Slider
Lord Voldemort
Sweden Flag
Denmark Flag
Finland Flag
Tin
Tin ore
Stingy
Caution: Flying bananas
Ice Cream
Curry
HEY YOU DELETED MY QUOTE FROM YOUR SIGNATURE
Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
Unstoppable

Sakura blossoms.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 05:08:01 PM »

Chapter 4

Central Leboa-Sako

As I drove up the dirt road to the safehouse, I see that there is nobody in sight. According to Sonata, the ceasefire was broken, so it's anarchy everywhere, and until everyone gets used to it, everyone is hiding, afraid of being killed. Poor civilians. I hoped that the ones remaining (it was definitely over 30,000) would survive this conflict. I also prayed silently for myself. If I have to work for the APR, then that means I'll have to kill others, and also

I drive through beautiful and lush jungle. Bushes and trees grow from everywhere off the road. I reach a bridge, and drive over a small river, though it looked like in times of rain it was far larger.

I soon reached the location of the safehouse. It was off to the right, beside a small disarrayed garden. I snuck into the territory and saw two men guarding it. I reach for one of my weapons and closed my eyes as I finished them off. I had a lot of experience with weapons, as bad as that sounds. A bullet is fatal, and breaks through the skin fast. When I'm done, I see that they are dead. I find the keys for the safehouse near the bodies, and grab them before entering the safehouse itself. It was a small but very cozy shack. I set my alarm for an hour later, and go to a nap like Sonata asked me to.

When I woke up, after washing my face with water from a small pond nearby, I called Sonata and asked her what is my next part of the mission.

"It's the final part!", she replied. "Drive further south to a large location known as the Lumberyard. It's as you'd think it is from the name; there is not much cover, as it is still being used as a lumberyard for building houses today. That area is the UFLL's territory. I need you to scout that area out so that our soldiers can possibly take it over later. Look for vehicles, explosives, ammo, anything. As well, when you are done, go to a small red Colonial-style building like the one we were in. Sneak into it, and free a person in it. They are an expat like it, being held captive. Free them in the name of the APR so that they will join us as well. Our army grows, and we save a life in the process. Got it? Oh, and make sure not to take on the place by yourself. If you get spotted, then abort!". I replied affirmative, and got back into my car. As I drove farther south, I quickly spotted the location of the Lumberyard.

I got out of the car and saw a small path leading up to a hill. I thought that would be a great place to scout out the place, and went to the top. I scouted out areas for invasion, and also supplies like Sonata asked me to. I also spotted the building where the other mercenary was. As I snuck into the Lumberyard, careful to stay in the few parts of vegetation present there, I had to murder a guard standing in front of the building before I went in. I suddenly felt guilt. Why am I killing people again? I never came here to do much of this...I had to hide the body so nobody finds it.

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by a huge headache. Another malaria attack. I stumble into the building, where nobody seemed to be present. I lay on the floor, trying to recover, when I hear someone banging on a door. I slowly crawl over to the door, and unlock it.

As I start recovering from the malaria attack, I see a young man of South Asian heritage standing in front of me. "Dhanyavaad. Thank you, sir! I thought I would rot in there. I came here for work, not to be in prison for walking into this place I didn't know existed...but that's a story for another day. I am Einstein. And you are very, very sick. I know a man who can perhaps help you. So...why did you save me?".

I stutter, trying to say a sentence. "Well, Einstein, I come with the APR, one of the factions here, to save you. We are hiring for new people to help us...spread a democracy here, yes. Will you join?".
"I guess I have no choice. I will join. What do I do?".
"Well, I'm unsure either. I'll tell my commander that I rescued you and recruited you. Also, when you're ready to leave the Lumberyard, sneak out of here. I didn't kill everyone outside, of course," I reply to Einstein.
"I'll stay here for a bit. Thank you for saving me, again! Listen, meet me at a place west of here called Mike's Bar when you're done reporting to whoever it is is leading you. I can introduce you to some of my friends, and a man I know can help you with your sickness. Is it malaria?"
"Yep..." I sigh. "Well, see you later Einstein", I say as I leave and sneak out. Nobody seems to have noticed anything happening.

As I drive back to Fresh Fish to meet up with Sonata, I call her to make sure all is good.
"So, you've saved the expat? He is from India and named Einstein? Great job! When you get back here, I'll talk about future business arrangements with you. Huzie gi!". I note to myself; huzie gi means "see you later" in Igbo.

After a few minutes, I arrive back at Fresh Fish. I see some children staring at me as I go to Sonata's office.

"Hello, welcome back! You now officially work for the APR...the Alliance for Popular Resistance. Our goal is, as you know, to set up a great liberal democracy here in Leboa-Sako. You will be given more missions by our official leader, who you will meet later in Pala, eventually. But right now, I'll explain how to get new weapons and supplies here. First of all, nobody uses paper money to buy anything that isn't cheap here anymore. All currency is in pure, rough blood diamonds. So then, a few days ago, one of my men came here and dropped of some diamonds. He died in the ceasefire broken at Pala, unfortunately. But the diamonds are still here. Find them with this GPS", she says, as she hands me a machine that has a blinking green light on its antenna.
"The green light means you are in close proximity to a case of blood diamonds. Find the diamonds here, and then head southwest to Mike's Bar. In Mike's Bar, you will find one of the few weapon's shops scattered across Leboa-Sako. You'll figure out how to buy things there, but then you can get new weapons and supplies like grenades. Got it?"
I nod.
"Great! Now then...go on your on way. When you're done, come meet us in east Pala. That's where our headquarters is. I'll introduce you to our leader, Thomas Sogoho Kouassi, also known as TSH".

And with that, I leave wondering who this TSH is.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:13:36 PM by Prem Ratan Dhan Payo » Logged

Graduating grade 8 on June 27!

Le Avatars (as of August 4, 2016):
August 4, 2016-Reshiram
August 8, 2016-Alola Region
August 19, 2016-Brown Onion
August 26, 2016-Ella Wings
August 27, 2016-Sea Green Glitter
August 27, 2016-Teal Diamonds Rihanna
August 28, 2016-Autumnal Orange Kyrat
August 29, 2016-Avicii
August 31, 2016-Gery-Nikol
September 5, 2016-Panda Bento Box
September 13, 2016-German Train
September 22, 2016-Asa Butterfield
September 27, 2016-no avatar
October 1, 2016-Pokémon X
October 3, 2016-Serena of Lumiose
October 8, 2016-Coastal Kalos (Route 8 )
October 12, 2016-Thorton 1
October 17, 2016-Laverre City
October 22, 2016-Frost Cavern
October 24, 2016-Kyrat
October 28, 2016-no avatar
October 29, 2016-Far Cry 3
November 8, 2016-Dr. Earnhardt's Mansion
November 13, 2016-Pheromosa
November 17, 2016-Lunala
December 3, 2016-Hala
December 7, 2016-Girl On The Edge
December 14, 2016-The Lovely Doctor
December 24, 2016-Yuma Lau
December 29, 2016-Aether Foundation Logo
December 31, 2016-Waiting For Love
January 2, 2017-no avatar
January 7, 2017-Kahili 1 (vs. sprite)
January 12, 2017-Kahili 2 (official artwork)
January 16, 2017-Elmo Fire
January 18, 2017-Kahili 3 (fanart)
January 24, 2017-Male Ace Trainer
January 28, 2017-The Lovely Doctor
February 4, 2017-Kahili 4 (pose)
February 7, 2017-Girl On The Edge
February 10, 2017-Kahili 5 (with Toucannon)
February 17, 2017-Sonam Kapoor
February 20, 2017-Shiinotic
February 26, 2017-Vulture
March 1, 2017-TRIGGERED
March 3, 2017-Pa'u Oricorio
March 11, 2017-Aspertia City
March 14, 2017-Pokémon Black 2
March 24, 2017-Nutty Butter Cup
April 1, 2017-Kahili 6 (muscular)
April 8, 2017-Mauna Kea
April 13, 2017-Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
April 29, 2017-Pink Flowers
May 6, 2017-Hokkaido
May 15, 2017-Happy Emoji
May 27, 2017-Bag of Apples
June 10, 2017-Beach Days
June 23, 2017-Sakura Blossoms
Arme Thaumaturgy
Where did I go wrong?
Restaurant Legend

Everywhere I went wrong.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

I misread huzie gi as huzie gl- huzie goodluck- huz goodluck
huz=thbt, is he the protag?

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

Now an Elsword fanatic
Hello, I'm darkness your old friend
Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
Unstoppable

Sakura blossoms.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »

That's funny, because he was the protagonist in the original Tongue

August 4, 2016-Reshiram
August 29, 2016-Avicii
October 24, 2016-Kyrat
November 17, 2016-Lunala
December 3, 2016-Hala
March 1, 2017-TRIGGERED
April 8, 2017-Mauna Kea
May 6, 2017-Hokkaido
May 15, 2017-Happy Emoji
June 10, 2017-Beach Days
Tin
is
Better Than Papa!

Curry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »

Another great chapter+ Smiley
Lol I am in this Laugh

le Avatars:
Cai Lun
? block
Pig Pauly
Brain
Cartoon Einstein
UNDERTALE!
PNC 2013 Finals
Void
Golden Papa Louie Slider
Lord Voldemort
Sweden Flag
Denmark Flag
Finland Flag
Tin
Tin ore
Stingy
Ice Cream
Curry
Juniper Montage
What a Cutie! <3
Food Critic

Life is full of surprises.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 04:39:13 AM »

Wow! Thus is really good.

The lovely Juniper Montage says hello

Greetings guests, would you like to take an tour in my theater?
Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
Unstoppable

Sakura blossoms.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »

Note: Some people's ethnicity will be changed.

Chapter 5

Central Leboa-Sako

After finding the briefcase of diamonds, hidden in a small abandoned shack, I drove all the way to Mike's Bar, where I am currently in the weapon's shop. Apparently, how it works is that you get an account, similar to a credit card, and pay for weapons via a computer. You can then receive these weapons in a building called the armory, right beside the weapon's shop. I decided to buy a shotgun, which is very effective at close-range, but terrible at anything further.

I step out into the sun and look around. What a long day it's been. I can't believe just this

Mike's Bar is located at the end of the jungle, in an enclosed area. Mountain rock covers the south, and a lake which ends up in a river is in the north. I see some other foreigners lounging around the bar. This place is peaceful, as it's the only place where expats tend to stay. The kind of crazy ones, who like to go into the middle of wars for scenery.

I go into the armory, and pick up my shotgun. Mission for Sonata finally completed!

As I make my way to Mike's Bar to meet Einstein, I spot an assault truck. A car with a machinegun attached to the back. The war really has reached everywhere...

Inside, I instantly noted the cool air-conditioning. A few people were eating or drinking. I spotted someone writing in a corner. Then I saw Einstein, who waved at me and invited me to sit down. He was sitting with a young woman who left the table when I came and winked at me.

"If it isn't my saviour himself...I really cannot thank you enough. I thought I would die there. Well once again, I am Einstein. I am from West Bengal in India. Now, to repay you, and to work for the APR...I will help you perform missions for the APR sometimes. I came from India to here to help protect a rich Belgian man here, but while going to meet him I ended up in the Lumberyard, where I was captured by the UFLL forces. I'm new here too, like you. Well then, that man writing in the corner is the one who can help you with your illness. Call me when you're ready to undertake a mission for the APR. I know some people here, and they'll be happy to let us do some work for them".
I nodded and shook Einstein's hand, before walking to the table he pointed out.

The writer appeared to be native to the United States. He looked at me and scowled.
"You people never have enough. Just take the bloody tape and leave".
I stare at him, confused.
"Well, aren't you going to destroy it? That's what your friends usually do. Oh, I see...you are not one of the militia. I am Joe Oluwagembi, and I am what you'd call a journalist. You're taking a chance talking to me around here, I'm persona non grata around here. The warlords don't want me in Leboa-Sako, they don't like the story I am writing about their crimes. The Jackal, the warlords, the people, the diamonds, the cities. I intend to expose the whole sordid mess in my book.
Do you know I have covered sixteen wars in Africa? Sixteen. And every time, the Jackal has been there, selling his weapons and causing millions to suffer and die. Well, that's my story. And you? You're new here; I can tell by the state of your clothes, they are much too clean".

I decided to trust Joe for the most part. I explained to him about me being sent here to assassinate people causing the war. After a while, I remembered why I was talking to him. I described my malaria symptoms.

"I see...you are sick. Well then, take this tape and gave it to a local priest in the church in the centre of Pala. He will give you medicine in exchange for the tape, because the tape provides information, a valuable resource in wartime. But first...you may want to listen to it. This tape is from an interview I had once with the Jackal".

Jackal Tape #01:
You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind. Men have this idea that we can fight with dignity, that there's a proper way to kill someone.

It's absurd, its anesthetic, we need it to endure the bloody horror of murder. You must destroy that idea. Show them what a messy, terrible, thing it is to kill a man, and then show them that you relish in it. Shoot to wound, and then execute the wounded, burn them, take them in close combat.

Destroy their preconceptions of what a man is and you become their personal monster. When they fear you, you become stronger, you become better.

But let's never forget, it's a display, it's a posture, like a lions roar, or a gorilla thumping at his chest. If you lose yourself in the display, if you succumb to the horror, then you become the monster.

You become reduced, not more than a man, but less.

And it could be fatal.

I am stunned at what the Jackal had described. It's insane. Men like that are in wars, they succumb to the horrors, the darkness. I'd never been like that and I never will. But Joe broke me out of my trance.

"Listen, I had a lot of information, but the militia confiscated my tapes. They said they destroyed them. I don't know. But if you find any, please return them to me. I stay here in Mike's Bar currently due to the anarchy. I'm no good with a gun you see, and you need one these days just to cross the street. I must warn you now, in return for my tapes I can only give you my worthless friendship".
"That's all good Joe. Stay safe".
"And you stay safe too..."

Before I could leave, the woman who was talking to Einstein stopped me.
"Si, bueno. I'm Perenelle Guillen. I was raised in the United States, but my parents were from Cuba. I am a mercenary just like you. Let me add you to my contacts. If while you're off fighting you fall in the firefights, I can come and help you so you don't die.".
I introduce myself before making my way outside, but not before Perenelle added one more thing.
"And stay as far away from the factions as possible! They're animals, both of them. Pura maldad".

I stood in front of the church in Pala. The town was rubbish. Old buildings and rubble desecrated the streets. Sandbags stopped easy travel. But yet, civilians were on the streets, making the place livelier.

I entered the church, and saw a man standing at the very back, taking care of a woman who appeared to be sick.

"There are no regular services at the moment, sir."
Just like clockwork, I started having another malaria attack. I collapsed to the floor and nearly fainted again.
"Oh...I see what is wrong now. Did Joe send you? You should see a doctor before you really need a priest". He helps me up, as I hand the Jackal Tape to him. In return, the priest, who introduces himself as Father Neff, gives me a case of malaria pills. I gulped one down, and instantly felt relief from the symptoms I had been experiencing throughout the day.

"Those will only last a short while, but I know of a way to get more. Many people wish to leave the country, but there are other, good, people who have chosen to stay. We run a business called the Underground. I can explain more to you later, as I must attend to this woman at the moment. Apologies. But be seeing you!".
I say goodbye to Father Neff as I leave the church. Finally, my errands completed.

That's the end of me being pampered. I make my way to the APR HQ; it's time for action.

August 4, 2016-Reshiram
August 29, 2016-Avicii
October 24, 2016-Kyrat
November 17, 2016-Lunala
December 3, 2016-Hala
March 1, 2017-TRIGGERED
April 8, 2017-Mauna Kea
May 6, 2017-Hokkaido
May 15, 2017-Happy Emoji
June 10, 2017-Beach Days
Tin
is
Better Than Papa!

Curry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »

Another great chapter!

le Avatars:
Cai Lun
? block
Pig Pauly
Brain
Cartoon Einstein
UNDERTALE!
PNC 2013 Finals
Void
Golden Papa Louie Slider
Lord Voldemort
Sweden Flag
Denmark Flag
Finland Flag
Tin
Tin ore
Stingy
Ice Cream
Curry
Arme Thaumaturgy
Where did I go wrong?
Restaurant Legend

Everywhere I went wrong.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »

I love this fanfic, it's one of the best I've ever read  Grin

Now an Elsword fanatic
Tin
is
Better Than Papa!

Curry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »

Totally agreed!

le Avatars:
Cai Lun
? block
Pig Pauly
Brain
Cartoon Einstein
UNDERTALE!
PNC 2013 Finals
Void
Golden Papa Louie Slider
Lord Voldemort
Sweden Flag
Denmark Flag
Finland Flag
Tin
Tin ore
Stingy
Ice Cream
Curry
Juniper Montage
What a Cutie! <3
Food Critic

Life is full of surprises.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »

I agree, it's very well written.

The lovely Juniper Montage says hello

Greetings guests, would you like to take an tour in my theater?
Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
Unstoppable

Sakura blossoms.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »

Not really a chapter in its own right.

Mission #1: The Chief
Mission Briefing

As I entered the modern-looking APR HQ, I saw inside it looked like a party club. Expensive furry carpets were laid on the floor, a bar was present, and strobe lights were on the walls, though currently off.

As I waited to be called up to the offices, I wondered about this TSH I'd be meeting. Who was he? Did he really lead half of all the killings I have seen so far in Leboa-Sako in this little office?

As I was called up, I nervously climbed the stairs. I heard someone, presumably TSH, talking with Sonata.

"This guy's not kidding around with the merchandise. Who sells this stuff so cheap?", I heard TSH say as he whistled.
"They're all cheap. They were cheap for the UFLL too", Sonata replied to him.
"Yeah, but the guy could've made way more money if he wanted to..."
I wondered if they were talking about the Jackal.

As I entered the room, I saw a young man sitting in a couch, with Sonata in a couch beside him.

"Welcome to our headquarters! This is TSH...", Sonata said, as she introduced me to the leader of the APR.
"I don't know who you are, but you know who I am. Thomas Sogoho Kouassi. TSH. Whatever you prefer. So, you've come to work for us? Well, here's your first assignment. ASSASSINATION. Chief of police? Bang".
Sonata clarified for me. "He'll be driving in a vehicle, patrolling the west area of Leboa-Sako. You can destroy his truck with a grenade, rocket launcher, whatever you'd like. He needs to be killed".
"You see", TSH added, "he supports the UFLL. Very biased towards them. Killing him will teach his replacement not to mess with the APR like that. Corruption is not a good thing; especially if you're the target of it".
I nod along as I am surprised at these two's enthusiasm over murdering people. Corrupt officials, yes, but they're still people.

TSH suddenly speaks. "I've got a good feeling about this. Why don't we pay you now?".
Sonata hands me a portfolio, containing 15 diamonds. That's a lot!

"Now then, you want something extra? Do another mission for us after this, and we will reward you. What would you like?".
"Well...information on the Jackal.
Sonata gasped. "Very daring...he's like a ghost".
"Well, we have some. But first...finish this form so it's official".

I wondered if I should do this, since the form would give away a lot of my privacy. But still, I sign up and put on my name...

"Robin".

I have accepted the mission.

August 4, 2016-Reshiram
August 29, 2016-Avicii
October 24, 2016-Kyrat
November 17, 2016-Lunala
December 3, 2016-Hala
March 1, 2017-TRIGGERED
April 8, 2017-Mauna Kea
May 6, 2017-Hokkaido
May 15, 2017-Happy Emoji
June 10, 2017-Beach Days
Arme Thaumaturgy
Where did I go wrong?
Restaurant Legend

Everywhere I went wrong.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

* Robin the Mage throws his hands in the air
WOO I'M THE PROTAG  Grin

Now an Elsword fanatic
Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
Unstoppable

Sakura blossoms.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 03:10:04 PM »

Yes, you are Cheesy

August 4, 2016-Reshiram
August 29, 2016-Avicii
October 24, 2016-Kyrat
November 17, 2016-Lunala
December 3, 2016-Hala
March 1, 2017-TRIGGERED
April 8, 2017-Mauna Kea
May 6, 2017-Hokkaido
May 15, 2017-Happy Emoji
June 10, 2017-Beach Days
Arme Thaumaturgy
Where did I go wrong?
Restaurant Legend

Everywhere I went wrong.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »

This sounds cheesy but that kinda made my day

Now an Elsword fanatic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.