Poll
Question: The best?
Calling Bird. (Eagle Tribe) - 0 (0%)
Wandering Feet. (Peacock Tribe) - 0 (0%)
Skunk Pelt. (Vulture Tribe) - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   
Print
Author Topic: Where Were You...? Where Are You...? [T] ©  (Read 8600 times)
rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2018, 02:57:40 AM »

Chapter 51...

Sky stood outside watching the sunrise. His parents were behind him holding the stick they kept. Staring at the horizon, Sky heard it. The sound of wings of a bird.

His bird. The white bird with the rainbow train of feathers. It always came each year, and White Feather or Sun Dancer carve another line to the stick. Sky took a few steps and shielded his eyes from the sun.

The white bird was flying towards them.

"Mama! It's coming! My bird is coming!!! Papa!!"

"Now, Sky, don't get excited or it might fly pass us."

"That bird is not afraid of anything."

"Here it comes!!"

Sky was jumping up and down as the white bird flew over his head and perched in the tree. Sun Dancer and White Feather looked up at the bird that was chirping gaily; Sky scrambled into Sun Dancer's arms hoping to get a better look at the bird.

The white bird looked down at Sky and his family. Sky was waving to it and laughing. The white bird ruffled its feathers and flew away.

"Aw..."

"Don't worry, Birdy it will come back soon."

"I wish it would stay..."

"Now. Would you like to carve the line, Birdy?"

Sky nodded his head eagerly to his smiling parents. Holding Sky in her arms, Sun Dancer watched as White Feather gave Sky the knife to carve the line.

"Careful, baby. Not too fast," Sun Dancer said quickly to eager Sky. Sky nodded his head and concentrated as he slowly dragged the knife across the smooth wood. The dark brown stick had a pale line from the knife.

As Sun Dancer and White Feather praised Sky, Sky stared at the lines.

Sky couldn't count, but there were not a lot of lines carved into the stick. Now, it was time to begin their busy day. Sun Dancer stayed by the hut; White Feather took Sky to the high grass where Skunk Pelt would be waiting on the other side with the basket and a gift for Sky.

This year it was a pair of moccasins with colorful beads sewed on top.

The beads were carefully sewed into the soft leather and made the shape of Sky's white bird. Skt was thrilled seeing his gift. White Feather held up Sky so he could wave to Skunk Pelt. It saddened Sky that he could not thank Skunk Pelt.

Heading back, White Feather went off to hunt while Sun Dancer did her work with Sky who stayed beside her. Sun Dancer went inside to collect the clothes that needed to be washed; Sky ran behind the hut to the garden. Sky loved to eat the rutabagas raw before his mother dug them up. Sun Dancer came back and found Sky on his rear with the fattest rutabaga in his hands.

"Oh, Sky. Find a smaller one."

"I like this one, mama."

"We can eat it when our father comes back."

"Aw."

Sky knew he had to share the food, so he pulled out a few more rutabagas until he found one small enough for him. Together, Sun Dancer and Sky headed to the river to wash the clothes.

Calling Bird was in the trees looking at them leave. Burning Tracks and Wandering Feet both failed at their plans to kill Sky, so it was now Calling Bird's turn. This time, he was supposed to poison their water.

Seeing how Sky was growing made Calling Bird's mind stray away from what he was supposed to believe.

Calling Bird spilled the poison onto the floor and broke the jar to make it look like an accident.

When Sun Dancer came back with Sky, they found a nice pelt and slab of meat waiting for them.

rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »

Chapter 52...

Sky crushed roots alone in the hut, White Feather and Sun Dancer were out together hunting. Sky was trapped behind the prickly gate so he wouldn't get out, but it Sky wanted to stay inside the cool hut today. It was a blistering hot day, and Sun Dancer will take Sky out later to play by the river to cool off. For now, Sky has to practice with roots. Getting up, Sky dragged the water bucket to where he sat, grabbed the gourd and dipped water into the root powder.

Where Sun Dancer and White Feather were.

Wrapping a bandage on White Feather's bleeding leg, Sun Dancer frowned at the badger that was now dead on the floor. It was caught in the trap but scratched White Feather with its long claws.

"Ugly things," White Feather grumbled to Sun Dancer who only nodded her head. White Feather watched as his wife carefully tied the bandage on his leg. The medicine she rubbed on the wounds to keep it from getting infected still burned underneath the clean bandage.

"Are you alright?"

"Fine, fine."

"What are you thinking of? You look lost in thought."

"I'm thinking about Sky."

"Oh? What's wrong?"

"Do you think we should give him a little brother or sister?"

White Feather choked on the berries he was eating after hearing Sun Dancer.

"Now??"

"He is a bit older now, and I can't stand seeing him watching the other children play together. Sky has no one around his age to play with him.
" Sun Dancer pulled her legs up and rested her chin on her knees. A few days ago, Sky was staring at the other children play. If Sky even tried to get near them, a mother will come up and hit him.

Last time Sky tried, a mother hit Sky so hard it left a bruise on his face. Sun Dancer saw it all, and it took White Feather and another man to pull apart Sun Dancer and the mother from killing each other. Sun Dancer and White Feather don't take too kindly when someone hits their child. Even if there were no mothers in sight, the kids would chase off Sky as if he had the disease that makes your limbs fall off. Sky stayed by himself playing with his parents'.

But Sky wanted to play with a kid his age.

"Mama, why don't they like me?" Sky asked Sun Dancer one morning. The question broke Sun Dancer's heart. White Feather's coughing broke Sun Dancer out of her thoughts. Sun Dancer slapped White Feather's back.

"Well, Sun Dancer, how will you carry a child if I'm dead? I was choking on those blasted berries!!"

"I'm sorry."

"Humph!"

Sun Dancer sat in silence before talking again.

"Well?"

"I guess if you want."

"Really?"

"Yes, but a few months from now. The baby will be born during the winter. That can be dangerous if it is small."

"Good thinking."

Sun Dancer helped White Feather up, and they headed home where Sky was peeking at them through the prickly gate. After White Feather put away the meat, Sun Dancer and White Feather took their child to the river to cool down.

Sure enough, other kids were playing by the far side of the river. Sky watched them. Sun Dancer and White Feather stared as well.

As soon as there is a baby, Sky won't be lonely. But for now, Sun Dancer and White Feather played with their only baby.

The color of mood is blue
Цвет настрое
Franchise Owner

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »

aw another cute baby

Цвет настроения синий. Внутри Martini, а в руках бикини.
Под песню «Синий иней» она так чувствует себя Богиней.
Цвет настроения синий. Внутри Martini, а в руках бикини.
Под песню «Синий иней» она так чувствует себя Богиней.
rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2018, 03:38:47 AM »

Chapter 53...

Summer was here and already bothering the Tribes. It was too hot to go hunting and making canoes, but complaining will get you nowhere. Sky was still little but helped his parents' with their work and hunting. Plus he wanted to learn in case something should happen.

White Feather and Sun Dancer watched Sky as he tried to catch fish in the net he made. Poor Sky sat sadly on the rocks waiting for the fish. What will they eat tonight if a stupid fish doesn't come? Sky sighed.

"They are coming," Sun Dancer said to boost up Sky's spirits. Sky only shrugged and pulled at the net hoping to see a perch at least.

"Nothing. I'm a bad hunter,"
Sky said. White Feather went up to the rock where Sky was and looked at the net. "I see nothing wrong with your net, Birdy. The fish must be lazy today."

"Dumb fish. This is my first time with a net and the fish won't swim into it."

"Oh, they will. If not, then you can try again later."

Sky pulled up his rested his head on White Feather's shoulder and sighed. Sun Dancer climbed up the rock to join them. The fish were not swimming into the net making Sky more depressed. The sun went up higher, the day became hotter, but Sky wasn't one to give up easily. After an hour, Sky heard the sound of cheering and whooping.

Far off in the Eagle Tribe, Calling Bird smeared red and black paint on the face of their new Wise Man. Black Eyes sat stiffly on the floor as Calling Bird painted his face. Calling Bird didn't like Black Eyes because he hated Sky as much as Wandering Feet and Burning Tracks did. But, he was the only one who was fit for this. Black Eyes was an arrogant man which made Calling Bird wonder how such a person can be so wise.

Spotted Wings was better, but he was gone. Red Snow glared at Black Eyes and refused to be part of this ceremony.

After it was done, Calling Bird made a mental note to stay far away from Black Eyes in fear that he would see that he believed what BlackWater and Skunk Pelt said about Sky. Red Snow stalked back to her hut burning with rage when she saw Black Eyes entering the hut her brother use to live in. Calling Bird knew how she felt.

If only everyone believed in Sky, then everything will be alright and Spotted Wings would still be here as their Wise Man instead of Black Eyes.

Survivore
eat wat u served
Forum Fanatic

Annika Argentina

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »

hmm, I wonder what life will be like when Sky is a brother

PSEUDORANDOM SURVIVOR FLIPLINE! http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=44030.msg2055400#msg2055400

magicmusic [May 21 08:33 PM]:   When I grow up I wanna be just like pickleric
shoutbox queen has found QUOTE OF THE DECADE!:
Matt: Testing the new Shoutbox!
Flipline_Tony: Testing.
Flipline_Tony: Looks like no one's here.
Matt:  Cry

awesome quotes of 2018:
"I'm the Grand Supreme Mip of being a poke in the eye!" (from AKC's AyChao Academy comic)
You get a jill-a-torch.
(in response to "I insert a jack-o-lantern." I wanna see a jill-a-torch ROFL)

Fav KCP 2018 entries (besides Annika):
Azariah (Mystic), Morrigan (Lilith), Bonnie (JakeZ), Scott (Pine-Apple), Rose (RoseKitty), Kassem (despite the fact that he's half blue-green colorblind), Treble (breadlord), Bellamy (SND), Chelsea (Paramore), Skye (Shawna), Ranulph (CupcakePsyducks), Alice (Algodethacon), Hazel (Zuki-Chan), Zack (DeluxePizza), Soufflia (lajoie), Chelsea (Paramore), Dakota (speedo)
rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2018, 04:02:38 AM »

Chapter 54...

A month later...

After a few tries, Sky managed to catch one stupid pickerel in his net. Sun Dancer and White Feather had to praise Sky who was holding the dead pickerel between two fingers.

"It's wonderful, baby!" Sun Dancer said joyfully to bitter Sky.

"I don't like this stupid fish!!"

"You'll catch big fishes one day."

"I was hoping for one of those!"
Sky pointed at a trout swimming away freely. Sun Dancer and White Feather stared at their dinner swim away while Sky ran to catch it.

"SKY!! Don't you jump in that river, the current will take you away!!!"
White Feather yelled before Sky could jump into the river. Sky stopped, crossed his arms and huffed. It was embarrassing that he only caught a pickerel when his parents' could catch larger fish.

"Oh, Sky. Don't worry about it. We can dry it to eat for later."

"I wanted to catch a big fish."

White Feather and Sun Dancer smiled at each other as Sky complained. Sky was desperate and desired to help his father and mother in any way he can.

"We have something to eat, Sky. Don't worry."

"What?"

"Um... we still have dried meat, Sky."

"Okay..."

Picking up his net and pickerel, Sky walked over to Sun Dancer and hung onto her skirt. White Feather picked up Sky and told Sun Dancer it was time to go home.

Walking slowly and enjoying the day, White Feather and Sun Dancer talked to each other while Sky held his pickerel and looked up at the trees.

A dead snake was hanging over a tree branch like a pelt.

"Yuck," Sky said and pointed at the dead snake. White Feather squinted at it. "Look at that. A dead snake."

"Speaking of dead things, I heard that someone from the Peacock Tribe died of the coughing disease," Sun Dancer said to White Feather.

"Oh? Was it Wandering Feet?"

"You know it wasn't. It was an old man; he wasn't strong enough to fight it."

"Too bad."

White Feather and Sun Dancer walked in silence. They prayed that the disease wouldn't spread.

rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2018, 03:25:11 AM »

Chapter 55...

Skunk Pelt sat inside of his hut waiting for Withering Bark to come back.

Withering Bark was with his wife in the hut where the women give birth. It was taking a while making Skunk Pelt worry. BlackWater was sitting beside him with a bowl.

"Do you think it is a boy or girl?" BlackWater asked Skunk Pelt. Skunk Pelt shrugged. "I hope it is alive."

A raspy squawk erased Skunk Pelt's fear; there was cheering inside of the birthing hut as well as a baby crying.

"Look at that. It lives. Boy or girl?"

"Hmmm. I hope it is a girl."

"A girl?"

"Yeah, maybe Sky can have himself a little wife when they get older?"

BlackWater pushed Skunk Pelt with his cane.

"Sure, sure, like we should pair Sky with someone from our Tribe."

"Why not? It does not have to be Withering Bark's child. It can be anyone from here."

"Over Wandering Feet's dead body."

"Damn him, let's go see."

Skunk Pelt helped BlackWater up and headed out of the hut with him. Withering Bark came out holding a squalling bundle.

"Look, Skunk Pelt! It's a boy!"

"Aw. I was hoping for a girl."

"Isn't he beautiful!?"

Skunk Pelt smiled at Withering Bark's new son who was still bawling.

"Look at his red skin; he looks like a pepper."

"You had red skin, too."

"We all did."

"Not Sky. He was pale."

BlackWater took Withering Bark's son in his arms to see how he looked. Withering Bark and Skunk Pelt yapped about what should the baby's name be.

"Speaking of babies, do you think Sun Dancer will have another one?"

"I don't know. Sky is old enough."

"It wouldn't be wise, would it?"

"... Why?"

"If they suffer, so will baby."

Skunk Pelt gulped hearing Withering Bark and turned to BlackWater.

"If they do, will it be a human of Deity, BlackWater?"

"I do not know."

Withering Bark took his son from BlackWater and went back to his wife. Skunk Pelt sighed seeing his cousin leave with his new son.

"If I get another wife, will she have a child?"

"From another man, yes. You? No."

"Why are all the other men fruitful and I am not?"

"Some men are born like that. Don't be ashamed that you are not like them."

"I get very jealous sometimes..."

"I would too."

BlackWater said nothing more and left. Skunk Pelt stood there listening to the men talk about how their wives were expecting a baby or calling for their children. Skunk Pelt felt empty inside.

He had no wife or child. It was embarrassing as well as depressing.

Looking up, Skunk Pelt stared at the lush greenery and spotted a dead leaf stuck in the leaves.

rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2018, 02:29:17 AM »

Chapter 56...

Wandering Feet stood in front of the Sacred Bonfire and listened to Burning Tracks as he chanted softly and scattered spices into the flames. The heat was overpowering that Wandering Feet had to remove his warm cloak even though the night air was crisp and cold. Summer was ending soon and the night air was beginning to grow colder. Wandering Feet kept his dark eyes on the body that was in burning in the fire. Burning Tracks went around the fire and stood beside Wandering Feet.

"I am sorry for this, Wandering Feet."

"Bear Paw was bothersome, but she was my grandmother."

Wandering Feet threw in a few more sticks, praying that the Deities will guide her home. For weeks, Bear Paw has been sick and could barely breathe. After Burning Tracks gave her the medicine, Wandering Feet stayed close to his grandmother in case she needed him. Earlier that morning, Wandering Feet walked into the hut and found out that Bear Paw had died overnight; Wandering Feet knew it wasn't because of her old age, she died of the disease that takes many.

"Do not worry. She will walk home."

"Yes..."

"It is late, Wandering Feet. You better get some rest before you go to the gathering."

Wandering Feet nodded his head, thanked Burning Tracks and went back to his hut. Lying on his side, Wandering Feet stared at the empty spot where his wife slept for a long time. A few years ago after Wandering Feet's wife died, he was given a soft pelt that had his son or daughter in it. Looking at it, Wandering Feet knew that it had died inside, and decomposed inside of his wife.

Turning his back to the empty spot, Wandering Feet went to sleep; his nightmares of a decaying baby screaming for him kept waking him up.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:24:00 AM by Skylight PokeCherry » Logged
Survivore
eat wat u served
Forum Fanatic

Annika Argentina

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »

super tragic Sad and by the way it's spelled cloak rather than cloke. otherwise though very good chapters

PSEUDORANDOM SURVIVOR FLIPLINE! http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=44030.msg2055400#msg2055400

awesome quotes of 2018:
"I'm the Grand Supreme Mip of being a poke in the eye!" (from AKC's AyChao Academy comic)
You get a jill-a-torch.

Azariah (Mystic), Morrigan (Lilith), Bonnie (JakeZ), Scott (Pine-Apple), Rose (RoseKitty), Kassem (despite the fact that he's half blue-green colorblind), Treble (breadlord), Bellamy (SND), Chelsea (Paramore), Skye (Shawna), Ranulph (CupcakePsyducks), Alice (Algodethacon), Hazel (Zuki-Chan), Zack (DeluxePizza), Soufflia (lajoie), Chelsea (Paramore), Dakota (speedo)
rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »

Thanks for noticing that typo. Sleepy
rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2018, 02:22:47 AM »

Chapter 57...

Calling Bird walked leisurely outside feeling the cold morning air on his skin; he was up before anyone else to attend gathering. All three Tribes will meet together. Calling Bird dreaded bringing Black Eyes with him, but it was a law for the Chief to bring its Wise Man. Calling Bird has been avoiding Black Eyes, but this time he couldn't.

Looking up, Calling Bird saw Black Eyes sitting outside of his hut wrapped in his bear pelt. His glittering eyes watched Calling Bird's every move. How long has he been sitting there?

"Good morning, Black Eyes..."

"Calling Bird."

"Couldn't sleep?"

Black Eyes did not reply to Calling Bird. Calling Bird stared at him for a few seconds before having enough sense to walk on. Even with his back turned, Calling Bird knew that Black Eyes was looking at him. Calling Bird walked down another path to get away from Black Eye's evil stare. The sun was not yet up, so the sky was a navy color like it was twilight. Calling Bird looked up at the inky black trees that swayed gently from the morning breeze.

Years ago when White Feather was a little boy, Calling Bird would take White Feather out for a morning walk. White Feather would run after Calling Bird to catch up because his stride was not as fast as Calling Bird's. Calling Bird would pick up his small son and carry him until it was time to head back. Those years vanished as well as White Feather. Calling Bird still had his daughters, but White Feather was his only son.

Calling Bird found himself at the river and knelt down to drink the cold water. Calling Bird drank his fill and splashed cold water onto his face.

A small giggle and the sound of a man's voice made Calling Bird look up. Far away White Feather was holding Sky and showing him a baby bat that was gripping the tree. The bat stared at Sky with large eyes. White Feather was talking to Sky and pointing at the bat.

Calling Bird stared at them, his hands still in the cold river. Sky dropped his straw toy, and White Feather knelt down to pick it up. White Feather and Calling Bird's eyes met.

Time seem to as stop as a father met eyes with his disowned son. White Feather was taking a morning walk with his son.

Calling Bird wanted to run through the water like a madman to be with White Feather and to talk with him.

But, Calling Bird couldn't in fear that someone might see them. White Feather stood up as well as Calling Bird.

It was still dark, but Calling Bird saw White Feather smile sadly at him before leaving with Sky. Calling Bird stood alone by the river until the bright arch of the sun showed over the hills.

Calling Bird walked back and found that Wandering Feet was already there with Burning Tracks. Skunk Pelt was there as well with BlackWater who smiled at him knowingly.

Black Eyes was still sitting there looking at Calling Bird as if he never left.

Although Black Eyes didn't follow him, Calling Bird felt that he knew what had happened by the river.

Survivore
eat wat u served
Forum Fanatic

Annika Argentina

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »

at least the grandfather cares, now

awesome quotes of 2018:
You get a jill-a-torch.

rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2018, 02:23:37 AM »

Chapter 58...

"Hmm, we seem to have a problem," Skunk Pelt said to Black Eyes who said nothing in response.

"There is a sickness going around,"
Calling Bird said to Skunk Pelt and Wandering Feet.

"Wandering Feet's grandmother died of it already."

"Oh? Did you burn her body?"

"Yes, we did. We can't let this sickness spread."

"I think it is already spreading."

"How so?"

"Red Snow had it, but recovered quickly,"
Black Eyes said roughly as if this annoyed him. Skunk Pelt turned to BlackWater and made a face; Calling Bird didn't blame him. Wandering Feet sighed and said that someone in his Tribe is sick. Skunk Pelt also said that a child from his Tribe died from the sickness. To make matters worse, winter was approaching, and that's when the worse of the disease strikes. Although the Tribes have broken apart, they wanted to stay close as possible in case they needed help.

The sickness was spreading rapidly, so the members of the Tribes built mud huts for the sick. There were a few mud huts for the dying, but no one talked about those.

Withering Bark told White Feather and Sun Dancer in secret after Skunk Pelt came back from the gathering with BlackWater.

For weeks, Burning Tracks, Black Eyes, BlackWater, and Sun Dancer made medicine for the winter. Sky worked alongside his mother and dug up the roots with his father.

Even with the medicine, Sky wondered if it will be enough.

rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »

Chapter 59...

Winter has arrived, and the disease had already spread. Each Tribe had at least one or more members who were sick with the awful disease. Men and women walked in and out of the huts that held the sick to clean them or to give them the medicine that the Wise Men made.

The winter was brutal. Members from the three Tribes had to split their food among the people to keep them from starving. Withering Bark didn't forget about White Feather and his family. It was a miracle if one recovered from this awful disease and left the hut.

One of Calling Bird's daughters caught the disease and died from it.

The disease attacked Skunk Pelt, and BlackWater was doing everything he could to heal him.

Wandering Feet also got it, but it didn't stay long.

Sun Dancer was slightly sick but recovered.

Sky had not caught it nor White Feather.

The disease was showing no mercy to the Tribes. Each Leader had to keep up and help their friends in need.

A disease had not stopped them once, why should it stop them now? Late at night when everyone was asleep, Calling Bird would leave herbs and roots for Sun Dancer in secret. He never saw Sky looking at him.

BlackWater stayed close beside Skunk Pelt who was beginning to take a turn for the worse. Skunk Pelt held the cloth Sky gave him close to his mouth.

"Please, please..."

After helping White Feather, Withering Bark trudged back home to see his family. While walking in the snow, Withering Bark felt a painful squeezing in his chest, and he felt dizzy.

Withering Bark was not a fool. He knew what was about to happen.

rainbowcherry
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2018, 04:26:19 AM »

Chapter 60...

A month later...

Sitting outside by the hut, Sky watched the sunrise slowly behind the cold gray winter clouds. Sky could hear his father coughing inside. Holding his toy, Sky desperately wanted to see his bird. Withering Bark has not come by for a long time, and Sky knew that something had happened to him already. Sun Dancer was inside trying to give her husband the medicine he needed. White Feather could barely swallow.

Sky was not allowed near White Feather. Each night, Sky curled up beside Sun Dancer in the far side of the hut. Every night, Sky would wake up to the delusional cries from his father. Sun Dancer would sit beside him, feeding him the medicine to help him sleep, but White Feather would only wake up again like this in the morning.

Sitting in the frozen garden, Sky caught and killed small animals for his mother since White Feather was down with the disease. Sky often heard his mother coughing, but she was fine later on in the day.

Picking up the skinned squirrels, Sky ran inside and laid them on the straw mat next to his mother. Sun Dancer smiled, rubbed Sky's head, and left with the squirrels. Sky stole a peek at his father behind the curtain.

White Feather was on his back covered in a blanket. Sky gazed at his father silently praying that his breathing wouldn't stop.

A few weeks later...

Red Snow hobbled in the deep snow with more herbs for Sun Dancer who was waiting for her by the frozen river. Two weeks ago, Red Snow overheard BlackWater talking to Skunk Pelt that Withering Bark had died. Skunk Pelt was recovering, but his cousin was gone. Who would look after White Feather and his family? That's when Red Snow walked in.

Now, Red Snow was the one who was smuggling food and medicine for Sun Dancer. Arriving at the river, Red Snow didn't find Sun Dancer waiting for her.

Sky was standing on the other side of the river. His long furry pelt was dragging in the snow as he made his way over to her. Shaking a bit in fear, Red Snow knew that Sun Dancer knew that Sun Dancer was sick.

Why didn't Sky catch it?

"Where is your mama, Sky?"

"Sick."

Sky reached up for the basket that gave him hope. Red Snow looked around before handing it to him.

Thanking her, Sky trudged away with the heavy basket. Red Snow held onto her staff that her brother left behind for her.

Running to BlackWater's hut, Red Snow tripped and landed inside scaring him. Red Snow got up quickly and told BlackWater what had happened.

"BlackWater, he could die out there alone."

"I know, child. I know."

"Sun Dancer and White Feather are both sick."

"We can't tell the others about this, Red Snow."

"I know."

BlackWater sat in silence with Red Snow as they both tried to think of a plan.

"I will stay with him," Red Snow finally said to BlackWater.

Red Snow, are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure; I can't let him die alone out there."

"No, you better stay. I'll go."

"No. You are too old and the people need you here more than me."

"You can get into a lot of trouble."

"I know. But, Sky needs someone to help him. He is a child."

"If they catch you, what will you do then?"

"Do what my brother did. Run."

"Run?"

"Yes. No one ever checks on Sun Dancer and White Feather, so staying with Sky will not be a problem. When Sky's parents are well, I will leave my Tribe."

"Oh, Red Snow; this is too dangerous for you."

"I will be fine. If the worse happens to Sky's parents, I will take him with me."

"You will?"

"Yes, I will run away with him, BlackWater."

"Will you be alright?"

"Trust me. Don't say anything about me."

"I won't."

Red Snow and BlackWater embraced each other. The next day, Red Snow was missing, and no one noticed. Since Red Snow didn't have any friends, it was easy for her to slip away. BlackWater and Skunk Pelt prayed for Red Snow and Sky.

Sky was startled when Red Snow arrived at the hut.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.