Poll
Question: Thoughts on bad guy taking number 1 from Old Town Road?
About damn time, bad guy deserves - 1 (12.5%)
Love bad guy, but OTR should have at least got to 20 weeks - 1 (12.5%)
Indifferent, neither song is that great - 3 (37.5%)
Prefer OTR/another song but bad guy is fine - 1 (12.5%)
Screw Billie man, OTR was robbed - 2 (25%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   
Print
Author Topic: Headmaster Oofis' Music World (weekly poll!)  (Read 12423 times)
Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2018, 12:32:59 AM »

It's list month once again, so let's count down the Top 10 Worst Songs of 2018!

Before you start your way down the list, a few things to keep in mind: A song is eligible for my lists if it made the Billboard Year End list for 2018, which hasn't come out yet, but there are accurate predictions on the internet which I will be using. If a song is on both the Year End for 2017 and 2018, it is a 2017 song, and is therefore not eligible. I can also make exceptions t either if these rules if I so wish. With that said, let's get started!!!

Number 10...:
This year, if any, was the year of mumble rap - self explanatory. So let's start off this list with one of the most popular mumblers of the year, who somehow built an entire career off the genre.

Gucci Gang by Lil Pump (YE chart position: 44)
This is pretty much your standard trap song, with Lil Pump on vocals rapping about stealing your hoe, taking drugs with his grandparents, banging on his teacher, etc. But what makes this song more excruciating is the sheer boringness and ignorance of the performer and production, this song is just a strange blend of every rap trope imaginable, and it's not something I want to listen to, whether ironically or seriously. At all.
Number 9...:
With this entry, we're going to be addressing what is likely the biggest story of 2018, the tragic death of XXXTentacion. X was known for his controversial lyricism and delivery as an artist, but as a person, was also a domestic abuser attempting to turn his life around through his music career. And for as much as I can kind of appreciate the attempted recovery, let's just say his music was kind of awful. Especially this one.

Changes by XXXTentacion (YE chart position: 94)
There is literally nothing to this song, apart from a broken sounding piano, some unusually loud but still depressing strings, and X's whiny vocals which don't do anything for the better. Not to mention the fact that there are only 5 lines in the entire song, and we don't get any verses, just a repetitive chorus and a bridge where X distorts his voice in a way that only weakens an abysmal song. In any other year this would have at least cracked the bottom 3, but given that this is 2018... yeah, it's only barely making the top 10. This song sucks, but it's at least better than the songs below it.
Number 8...:
I'm not having the debate over whether this song was from 2017 or 2018, it missed the 2017 year end, and is projected to land around number 40 on the 2018 year end, so it's a 2018 hit, regardless of when it was actually released. The song itself though?

I Fall Apart by Post Malone (YE chart position: 39)
It's a well known fact that when one of your songs becomes a smash hit, other previously released songs will start to gain traction, in turn making them hits as well. This was the case for Post Malone, who somehow scored a number one with Rockstar in late 2017, and for some ungodly reason chose to release I Fall Apart instead of a new single as the follow up. And this song is horrific, it's basically Post Malone disguising his mumble rap song as an acoustic breakup ballad. Anyone who has read the lyrics will see that the song appears to more about the jewellery than the breakup. To his credit, he has tried to defend himself by saying in an interview that if you want music with a meaning don't listen to hip hop, but this is as far from the truth as you could possibly get. I literally just listened to the new Cupcakke album a couple of days ago, and not only did I find it to be a highly enjoyable listen, there were also a few songs with more meaning than Post could ever wish for.
Number 7...:
Okay, so you know Young Thug? That guy who had a verse on that one Camila Cabello song and was the only bad thing about it? Well apparently he has inspired rip offs now, and apparently one of them broke into the mainstream and is actually dominating on Spotify. Shame he sucks.

Yes Indeed by Lil Baby and Drake (YE chart position: 25)
I find it ironic that despite the fact that this was the song that established Lil Baby on the charts, this song is mostly Drake's, giving him both verses and Lil Baby only having the chorus to his name. I don't have much to say about Lil Baby's part, apart from the Pikachu puns which sure as hell don't get a pass from me, so about Drake. The line I find bad about Drake's verse is when he talks about the songs producer Wheezy: "Wheezy produced it and Wheezy half made me". Not only is he endorsing one of the most boring and plodding beats of the decade, he's also admitting that the producer of said beat made his career, which I wish were true, because then we wouldn't have so much Drake on the charts anymore. Wouldn't that be the greatest thing ever?
Number 6...:
The Latin influence on the English-speaking world is over. I don't care what anyone says, it ended this year, and even though I did like most of the songs that smashed through thanks to it, one stood way out from the rest. And somehow, it was among the most popular from the genre this year.

Te Bote by Bad Bunny, Nicky Jam, Ozuna, Nio Garcia, Darell and Casper Magico (YE chart position: 81)
I've only listened to this song in full once, and I don't plan on doing it again. From what I remember of it, Ozuna sounded whiny as always, Bad Bunny had something wrong with his face, and I don't remember who's who out of the other four, but they all sucked equally. All six vocalists sing the chorus and a verse individually, making the song run for seven minutes, which is longer than it would have taken me to write this if I listened to it again to remind myself of how bad it is. Forget what I said about Yes Indeed, this was the most boring beat of the year. The piano chords and vibing drums make this song more of a slog than it already was, and that's saying something!
Number 5...:
Say what you want about the singers of Te Bote being late to the party, at least they showed up. It looks to me as if one man, a certain Aubrey Graham, didn't even do that for this one.

I'm Upset by Drake (YE chart position: 86)
Before the Eminem and MGK beef became a thing, there was Drake and Pusha T. I won't get into the situation, but the fact of the matter is, Pusha T's clearly superior diss The Story of Adidon didn't even chart for a single week, while this trainwreck of a response hit the top 10. This was supposed to be the song that settled it all, but if anything it only caused even more trouble. It may have been a coincidence that XXXTentaction was killed while this song - which contains the lyric "SMS, triple X, that's the only time I ever shoot below the neck" - was charting, but it sure isn't a good look for Drake! Not only that, he also rips off lyrics from Beyonce, and to top it all off, this song suffers from the same problem as most if not all of the songs on this list: it's incredibly boring. This song may be worse than my number 1 of last year, Taylor Swift's Look What You Made Me Do, but there's still 4 songs I haven't got to yet from this year, so let's carry on.
Number 4...:
If we're going to be talking about mumble rap, I might as well talk about the complete opposite of that: screamo rap. Yes, that's a thing now, and it's all thanks to a certain rapper called Tekashi 6ix9ine, who blew up this year with his deplorable hit song Gummo and... if I'm being honest, I genuinely don't hate that song, maybe it's the production, or the energy that 6ix9ine brings to the table, or the sheer number of times I've had to endure it at school, but something about it kind of clicks for me in an odd way. What doesn't click for me is when 6ix9ine makes mumble rap, and scores his only top 5 hit with it.

FEFE by 6ix9ine and Nicki Minaj (YE chart position: 31)
Just like the others, this song is boring, but this time 6ix9ine finds every way imaginable to make this song all the more painful. The interludes where he says 'I don't really want no friends' and the most forced sex references imaginable are nothing compared to the eenie meenie miney mo jokes on the last verse and the intro where he somehow manages to make Nicki Minaj claim to be from New York (which she isn't) and the shoutouts to the Treyway gang (which he isn't allowed to do anymore according to some of the songs on his new album). Speaking of which, thank the gods 6ix9ine is going to prison, he won't be able to release any new music from there... unless he does exactly what Bobby Shmurda did on Tekashi's own track STOOPID, in which case, I'm done with Billboard. Screw 2018 and everything it stood for.
Number 3...:
So with all this rap dominating the charts this year, there hasn't been much pop music in the mainstream, and the stuff that was has either been passable or better. Which is good, because as a pop fan, I generally don't like to talk about the genre in my worst of the year list. But then again, there's also gonna be one defector, isn't there?

Rise by Jonas Blue ft. Jack & Jack (YE chart position: N/A)
This song didn't chart in the US, but it was a hit pretty much everywhere else, and my god, it was atrocious. Jack & Jack manage to be both amateur as hell and forgettable at the same time as vocalists, complete with stuttered syllables galore, and the hypocrisy of the lyrics complaining that their parents don't understand them despite the fact that they're still living with them and are clearly old enough to move out. Jonas Blue is also at his worst as a producer here, ditching the usual tropical house vibe that I normally kind of like about him for a bass heavy EDM banger that doesn't bang and absolutely doesn't deserve to be remembered moving forward. Do we want to put this rubbish out there, or do we want to get rid of it? I personally want to imagine this never existed in the first place.
Number 2...:
Speaking of songs whose concept should never have been thought up...

Freaky Friday by Lil Dicky and Chris Brown (YE chart position: 55)
This is a song about how cool it would be to swap bodies with Chris Brown, who the public seems to have forgotten once domestically abused Rihanna. If that doesn't speak for itself, consider the worst moment of 2018 music, that being the outro of this song. Lil Dicky gets swapped out of Chris Brown's body and into Ed Sheeran's body, and proceeds to say he'd rather be Chris Brown again. WHAT?!?!?! I don't know anyone else who would rather be Chris Brown than Ed Sheeran, at least Ed has decent music, Ed isn't an abuser, and Ed absolutely dominates with his hits. Chris Brown would never have shot back into relevancy without this song. And don't get me started on Kendall Jenner's part, that might even be worse than anything my number 1 pick has to bring to the table. But before I get to that...
...let's go through some dishonourable mentions!:
Bartier Cardi by Cardi B ft. 21 Savage (YE chart position: 61)
This is mumble rap if it was done more aggressively and sounded more annoying. I don't count 6ix9ine as mumble rap so don't come at me with that comment, 6ix9ine isn't a mumble rapper so it's not valid.

Walk It Talk It by Migos ft. Drake (YE chart position: 43)
Wins the award for most repetitive song of the year, but I just don't care about it enough to have it in my top 10. Also, I would have forgotten that Drake had a verse on this if I didn't look it up just now.

Shotgun by George Ezra (YE chart position: N/A)
Extremely basic pop trash that gets more pathetic with each listen. This song may not have charted in America, but at least where I live in New Zealand, you won't find anyone who doesn't know all the words to this song, and that just makes it so much worse.

SAD! and Moonlight by XXXTentacion (YE chart position: 17/88)
Both horrible listens, and Moonlight probably would have been my number 10 if I wasn't trying to keep it to one song per artist. SAD! is slightly more tolerable, but then again, it also has the worst lyric of the year: "SUICIDE! if you ever try to let me go, yeah"

In My Feelings by Drake ft. City Girls (YE chart position: 9)
The first half of this song is Drake whinier than ever, and the second half is an awfully produced mess of a Lil Wayne sample slathered in choppy backing vocals from City Girls, who aren't even credited on any websites I could find, and for good reason.
Number 1...:
So I was going back and forth on whether or not to include this song on my list at all, as most of my readers won't have heard of it. The song wasn't a hit anywhere outside of my own country, and even then it only peaked at number 15, and that was only because they opened a concert for Ed Sheeran. I was gonna leave the song off the list entirely for that reason... but this song deserves to be panned all the way to musical hell and back, so um... here we go I guess!

Woke Up Late by Drax Project (YE chart position: N/A)
If you follow my music world regularly, you will have known this was coming, otherwise you most definitely won't have heard of this song or the band. Drax Project are an up and coming local band from Wellington who originally uploaded covers to Youtube, most notably one of Havana which caught the public eye and was even picked up by Camila Cabello herself. And it wasn't that bad either, so maybe the first single from their EP Noon might have had potential to be good?
Well don't get your hopes up, because saying that this song is atrocious is an understatement. The song starts with an awfully hacky guitar riff along with Drax's frontman who doesn't sound too far removed from a frog croaking. As the chorus picks up, a slew of extremely stiff percussion comes in to create a lousy excuse for a groove, along with an 808 bass for the trap vibe because that's what's in at the moment. The second half of the chorus is even worse, with the singer going into a falsetto that may not be as painful as, say, Swae Lee on Swang, but it sure isn't good!
And that's before we get into the lyrics. This song is about how the singer met a girl at a club, had some drinks and danced. That's not so bad, is it? Well after 3 hours of that, he walked with the girl back to her house, LITERALLY BANGED HER, and slept in her bed until noon. The first verse is actually about the aftermath of the whole ordeal, suggesting that these guys don't know how to tell a story in the correct order. In this says he explicitly says he hardly even knows the girl, and that he doesn't know how long he's slept in, even though he says ten seconds later "slept till noon, and now I want more".
What's even worse is the second verse, where even though they might be more than friends (which I highly doubt), he has the audacity to ASSUME that she'd like to do everything they just did the next night. That's pretty much the definition of domestic abuse, and on that bright and cheery note, I'm done with this garbage. Well done Drax Project, you made my least favourite song of ALL TIME. I hope you're happy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:02:16 PM by Cyana-fis » Logged

stan oofis stream winkles
Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »

My best of 2018 list is coming soon, for now, vote up in the poll, I'm thinking about releasing a promotional song before the full album drops.

Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »

I honestly don't think I'm going to get my best list out at all, it's kind of time consuming to write about every single one in detail. Regarding New Rules and Pray For Me, I was gonna make a joke where Pray For Me was my number 1 and then say a bunch of negative things about it, and then say that New Rules is my actual number 1 despite also being on the 2017 list to emphasize how bad 2018 was.

Anyway, here's the final sneak peek for Cyana. https://soundcloud.com/user-117531920/cyana-final-sneak-peek
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:44:59 PM by Cyana-fis » Logged

hyewon
are you cringing yet
Restaurant Legend

you are the cause of my euphoria

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »

it's been processing for over an hour

Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »

Sneak Peek - Cyana release date!

Here's what you've all been wanting to know since I first announced the project. When will Cyana be released for public listening? Well, you'll be pleased to learn that the long-awaited, distinctly Kiwi-influenced, cyan worshipping album will officially launch on January 23rd 2019! You may also be excited about the fact that the album will not be released on Soundcloud alone, as I am now able to upload it on Spotify and iTunes, so you will be able to download and stream Cyana as much as you want. Let's get little old Oofis to number 1!
I also plan to premiere Cyana on the forum Discord server as soon as it is released.

Also, new poll. Which song are you looking forward to hearing based on the sneak peeks?

hyewon
are you cringing yet
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »

YEeeehaw

Leia
◢ ◤
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »

oh heck yeah spotify let's go

God Usopp [Aug 20 10:17 AM]:   costco is bestco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT9Q21sycyM
Penguin022
Cactus McCoy 3 Supporter
Food Critic

This account is sponsored by Verizon Wireless.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »

oofis really bout to rule the spotify charts

Not removing my signature until Flipline makes a CMC3:
AskJoe [Jun 30 11:19 PM]:   Flipline should make Cactus McCoy 3.
Kangablue [Jul 02 12:59 AM]:   I want Cactus McCoy 3 now Sad
Phil Swift [Sep 12 07:43 PM]:   They need to make CMC 3
Penguin022 was quietly listening to his own music while also praying for Cactus McCoy 3 to come out, which honestly, would be a good idea since I love the game personally.
Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2019, 11:25:12 PM »

2 weeks until the release of Cyana!
That's right, the countdown to the release of my sophomore album is released on Soundcloud, Spotify and iTunes!

While you're waiting, feel free to check out the Cyan Squad. These are the songs that either I loved growing up, changed my life in some way, or are just straight up fantastic compositions. 28 is the number of evil wizardry, so I chose 28 songs.

In alphabetical order by song title:

Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2019, 02:21:21 AM »

Okay, how to put this... All the work I've put in to creating Cyana and the sneak peeks and all that may have come to nothing.

The problem is, the only place I have the Cyana project saved is on my computer, which is fine, but it's an extremely outdated computer that for whatever stupid reason is refusing to turn on. For a while I've assumed it was an issue with the cord, and that was an easy fix, but even with the cord it's stopped working for me. The only real hope I have for getting this comp to work is once I get my new one, to use the new cord on the current comp and pray to the gods it will work. If it doesn't, I'm sorry to say I am unable to release Cyana ever. Even in the best case scenario, the release date of the album will be postponed to January 30. Hope you'll understand.

(God this took ages to type out on my phone)

Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFO9XDtHN9g
https://open.spotify.com/track/49mMo6iSA8sjt4Z7pu3Lnf
stan oofis

Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »

headmaster is now on spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/395ZXQWKHizUU0VxNTDEG7
stan oofis

Oofis
Papa's Replacement

love abba

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »

Tracklist for my upcoming album, Winkles:

1. Giani (4:44)
2. QUEEN COCO ricoco chanel Cinnamon nutmeg clovie (5:45)
3. Evie (4:20)
4. winter (2:51)
5. Brownie/Charlie (5:31)
6. Boowah (4:38)
7. Herbert (6:19)

8. Eric (2:03)
9. Be Like Her (3:40)
10. Ring Ring (ABBA tribute) (3:10)
(Tracks 8-10 deluxe edition only)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:25:51 AM by Oofis » Logged

hyewon
are you cringing yet
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2019, 08:53:37 AM »

damn bruh u gonna make us pay 4 deluxe??? Undecided

Kory In The House
Person
Franchise Owner

The name's Kory.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2019, 03:42:32 PM »

Checked your music out on Spotify, and I've got say, I'm impressed. It's very nice. Can't wait for the next album.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.