Poll
Question: Will Abu Elias Kyrat First Place get first place?
Yes, it says so in the title! - 6 (54.5%)
Elias is not getting first place lol
- 5 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 126   
Print
Author Topic: Flipline Forum Playlist Battle: Season 5 [I GUESS]  (Read 55423 times)
Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 19, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »

Waiting for Penguin's write ups, likely coming this evening.

Snom
Soup Mia
I am the egg man
Restaurant Legend

Colts Snom

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 19, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »

YES PLEASEEEEEEEEEE
You know I had to do it to em.

The forum wouldn’t be like this if they had just stanned Loona :pensive:
stan Loona
JEBZ Komics [Aug 28 06:34 PM]:    Brother E: Stan Loona
AskJoe [Aug 28 05:35 PM]:   @SpongeBob29 Stream Butterfly
Stan Loona
stan loona
Stan Loona Smiley
Juliana: It doesn’t matter if no one else believes in you. You only need one, and that’s yourself. #JuliStrong
Join the forum Discord! https://discord.gg/RHNdcbg
Penguin022
Cactus McCoy 3 Supporter
Food Critic

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 19, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »

Playlist Results:
Cat Kyle:

Phil Swift:

I get that you were trying to convey a story, but it just...doesn't fit the theme at all. All of your songs have to fit the theme, and it works story-wise but theme-wise none of the songs work at all. And your story seems like a desperate attempt to tie all the songs together when they just don't make sense with the theme. And what the hell were you thinking with John Cena? I laughed seeing that on the playlist. And your story is clearly made without any knowledge in ice skating, because the theme is ice dancing, and it's in pairs, and your story was about a singles skater, which I found hilarious, but the description was a long shot at trying to make the songs work with the theme. Laugh Nice try, though, I guess. Loved We Are The Champions signifying the victory, but it's nothing to do with ice dancing, except maybe it would be played after the home skaters win in a competition in their home country. Laugh I liked your story, though, but it just doesn't work with the theme. I think my biggest issue is that clearly you didn't do any research about ice dancing, because you told your story about a singles skater. You get a nice, large, 3/10.

Oofis:

Ugh. I'm so conflicted about this. For starters, I love the songs on it personally, but they would NEVER fit ice dancing, except Love on the Brain, Location, and, surprisingly, Stargazing, for a little bit. Love on the Brain was a good choice. I did not think something by Kygo would fit well, and if it was combined with another song, so the abomination of a chorus could be removed. Maybe they would fit for exhibition programs or ice shows like Stars On Ice. For instance, Be The One would be perfect for exhibition, but nobody in their right mind would use it for a free program (well, maybe Papadakis/Cizeron would, they did use Shape Of You...). And, God, I love Dirty Computer, but I Like That just doesn't fit. I was hoping Here would fit ice dancing, but it really just...doesn't. And I also love Redbone, but I laugh imagining someone ice dancing to it. Location and Love on the Brain are probably the only songs that fit ice dancing somewhat. With The Weekend, I could just never imagine someone doing lifts or twizzles to it.

The main thing is just that...ice dancing really isn't this upbeat. I get that you were trying to separate 'ice' and 'dance', but that's not the theme. The theme is 'ice dancing', and I'm under the impression you're trying to appeal to Penguin with this playlist. Ice + dance =/= ice dance.The playlist is perfect for something I'd listen to in my spare time, but it doesn't fit the theme well at all, in my opinion. I'll give you a 4.5/10, simply for Love on the Brain and Location.

Zuki-Chan:

I'll be honest here, I was not expecting you to do very well when I saw the tracklist. I had not listened to the Undertale OST previously, but these songs are beautiful and I could definitely see them being used in ice dancing in some sort of winter-esque medley! After the Undertale songs, though, it goes downhill from here. I just can't get over the robotic-ness of the first Vocaloid song. The instrumentals are lovely, but the voice just is so robotic and synthesized and would never be used for ice dance. Shame, though, because I'm sure if it were a real person singing or just the instrumental, it would work out perfectly. The second Vocaloid song was just way too intense and wild and would never work out. It's a jarring change from the previous song. The Yuri On Ice!!! theme is completely out of place and has nothing to do with the other songs, in my opinion. I was also very disappointed when you just put in 'Evgenia Medvedeva/Mao Asada Music' (paraphrased), it shows a lack of effort towards the end, and although the music is lovely, it just seems like you gave up and searched up figure skating music. It's not even ice dancing music, like you stated in your description. It's regular singles skating music. I also am going to deduct points because you repeated artists. I'm going to give you a 5.5/10, purely because it started off really strong but just flopped towards the end, and because of artist repetition.

Cinnablob:

From my first look at it, your playlist looks the most promising to me. Roxanne is, well, obvious, because Virtue/Moir won the Olympics with it, and whenever I hear that song I think of their routine. I don't think you did this intentionally, but a lot of songs you've put in have had people actually ice dance to it. You've put in a BUNCH of warhorses (songs everyone skates to) in this, and although it's easy to get sick of warhorses, I think it was a very good choice for this particular playlist battle. Listening to these songs, I'm reminded of all the skates to them. (also almost all of these songs are on my ice dancing playlist LMAO) I think I, as a figure skating and ice dancing nerd, am so impressed with this playlist is because I'm so familiar with all of these songs on it. Surprisingly, the transition from Arabesque to Roxanne wasn't bad. Some criticism I have, however, is that the first song doesn't have the same impact as the other songs. It's not a very good opener. I actually don't mind the Phantom of the Opera cover you used, but it's kind of out-of-place and modern compared to the other songs you've put in. But I think all of the other songs are almost perfect. Moana was right in the shoutbox, the English version of Once Upon a December is repetitive, so I'm glad you changed it to the Russian version. However, Once Upon a December isn't a very powerful closing. I would have preferred something else in the middle, removing this song completely and having Roxanne as the closer.I am disappointed with your cover and title, though, and with the lack of effort you've seemed to put into this. It makes me think that you don't care, and that you made a 'purposely generic' playlist just because you felt pressured into submitting. I personally thought this playlist was wonderful, but your beating yourself up and the lack of thought I know you put into this playlist causes me to downgrade your score. I also do think you forgot not to repeat artists, so I have to deduct points for that. I really liked this playlist, but for your attitude and effort and repetition of artists I'm giving you a 7.5/10.

Gato:
So far (and as I'm reviewing this, you're the fifth playlist I've listened to), your songs all in all would work for ice dancing, even the Steven Universe one. All of them would work, either singular or in a medley of sorts (some are too short to not be in a medley), and I'm super happy to be saying this! However, your playlist was kind of boring. There does have to be some level of excitement to it, and your playlist was kind of all the same level of excitement, which made it...not exciting. I did like your interpretation of the theme, whether you meant it or not. For this, I'm going to give you a 6/10. Be happy, this is one of the higher scores. Side note: make some effort with the album cover.

jbvann05:

Like I said in Oofis' review, ice + dance =/= ice dance. For instance, adding in 'Dancing Queen' does not make it fit the theme better. In particular, No Tears Left To Cry, an alright song, but it just...wouldn't really work for ice dancing. I can't say the same for Shape of You because Papadakis/Cizeron did it for the Olympics, but I still hate the song done for ice dancing. These songs in particular would definitely be done for exhibitions, as most modern pop songs are done, but otherwise no, I would never use them. I find it hilarious that you used an HQ Trivia song though. That would work in a medley. But your playlist, I've found, is very generic and boring. Nothing really stands out about it to me. It's not particularly good in any way, and it's not disastrously bad in any way. It's just...average and boring, and in my opinion it doesn't fit the theme. Also, I really dislike you using Soundcloud covers. It's just out of place and unprofessional, and the songs don't have good flow because of this. For this, I'm going to give you a 4/10.

Red:

The biggest flaw with your play list is that your songs...do not flow well together. They don't really flow together, period. They're fine, individually, but they aren't fine together, and only the first works for the theme in my humble opinion. And I really don't think the Pokémon music fits well at all. I love the idea of using game OSTs for this theme, but Pokémon (and the BOTW minigame) music is just too game-y, if you understand what I mean. The samples you've provided for us with the Pokémon music also cut off very awkwardly, making your playlist very jarring. And I love using My Heart Will Go On, but using a live version is just...odd. And the repetitiveness of Falling Snow and Sakura Blossoms causes the listener to get bored. Like I've said in previous reviews, ice dance needs excitement as well. Boring music causes the program to be boring. Look at Papadakis/Cizeron's Moonlight Sonata or a lot of the Russian juniors. Boring. The traditional Japanese music flows well with the second Pokémon song, though (probably due to their similarities in composure), I'll give you credit for that. Also, even though the video of Sweet Victory was blocked in America, another playlist used that, and I still dislike it with the theme. All of the songs you've chosen are very repetitive, and I think using the same artists causes this, which I'm going to deduct points for. For this playlist, I'll give you a 5/10.

Algodecathlon:

I'm really surprised you tried. After all of your bloopy attitude about the whole thing, this looks like a halfassed attempt, so it gives me the impression that you don't really want to be eliminated. However, your attitude is a complete turnoff, and it's hard for me to review your playlist seriously when I'm so confused about whether you really want to be eliminated or whether you're being sarcastic. Since I'm very unsure, I'm going to review your playlist seriously.

Anyway, I really do like Lindsey Stirling, and surprisingly, I could see the song you started with working for ice dance. I think you chose a very good opener. I'm overlooking the commentary after the song because you used YouTube and it's harder to find a version without commentary. Your second song was pretty good too, especially the beginning and the slower violin parts. It fits very well with Lindsey Stirling's song. I really enjoyed it, despite it's game-y-ness. It does remind me of Tetris though. After the third song, I'm getting the impression that you're just putting in random violin instrumentals you listen to, but they all have strangely good flow together. The fourth song definitely wouldn't work, but I found it hilarious, and it did work well with the other songs. The transition to classical piano works alright, surprisingly, probably because of the paused time due to YouTube reloading the page because of new songs. If there wasn't the reload, I would probably dislike the transition. Also props to using The Godfather Part 2 in your playlist. The music is great. And Requiem for a Dream is absolutely perfect. I would totally use it. And the Instrumental Core remix is pretty alright. I don't think ice dancers would typically use it, but it works well with the rest of the playlist. I feel like, though, Requiem for a Dream should have been your closing piece. It would have worked so well.

I'm going to tell you something you're going to hate if you really want to get eliminated. Sorry, but considering the other playlists, you're probably gonna make it through. I think you have pretty alright instrumental taste.

Your playlist isn't bad. It's actually pretty good. Not the best one, but still pretty alright. Your attitude is bloopy, though, and the violin songs are kind of repetitive after a while. If you wanted to be eliminated, why did you try? And if you did 'reverse psychology', could you be less annoying about it?

6/10.

Louie:

My first reaction seeing your playlist was 'oh, no'. My second reaction was 'RIP Mac Miller'. I'll be honest, I thought your playlist was a disaster when it comes to following the theme, but I already know Penguin is going to rate it somewhat highly because it appeals to his musical taste. It doesn't fit the theme whatsoever. I'm really disappointed. The songs themselves are good, but they don't fit the theme at all. A, this is about ice dancing. Not singles skating. B, your PCS would be bloop if you skated to these songs. They have good flow, they're good songs, but they don't fit the theme at all. For this, I'm giving you a 2/10, good quality songs, alright quality playlist, but they don't relate in any way to ice dancing. I feel like it'd be unfair to grade you a lot higher than Phil since your playlists were similar, but yours had much better songs on them, which is why you got a higher score.

NoRegrets:

My first reaction seeing your playlist was also 'oh, no'. I personally find all of the songs annoying, but I looked past that. The first four songs were fine, they fit the theme, but then they started going completely off topic. Steal My Girl has nothing to do with ice dancing, whether you'd like to try and interpret it that way or not. I think that was your attempt to include One Direction in there somewhere. That seemed to be your strategy with this playlist, much like last game with the Bald Eagle playlist, and it still didn't work out. Also, sticking Sk8er Boi in there was hilarious, but it didn't fit at all. There are different types of skating, you know. And the songs you used when it came to the 'relationship' between ice dancers were all somewhat romantic, and lyrically they don't work. For this playlist, I'm giving you a 4/10.

Cosmic:

Your playlist was mediocre at best. It didn't stand out, the songs didn't really fit the theme, and I get you were trying to incorporate them via your storytelling, but it just seems desperate. When I came up with this theme, I was thinking of songs that would work well for ice dancing, not songs you could have an ice dancer's (usually)off-ice life be like. This applies to NoRegrets' playlist as well, if he's reading this. However, some songs in your playlist, such as the first track, Say Something, and the last track, would definitely work for ice dance. For your playlist, I give you a solid 5/10.

Moana:

Chilly Beginnings by Phil Swift

This playlist fits a different sport; not ice dancing. Most of the songs are very motivational, but the energy in compositions such as The Time Is Now, Not Afraid, and The Greatest is better suited to something else, like wrestling or non-ice dancing. The songs also don't really have that much of a flow between them; your genres are switching too much. And despite your explanation with the story the songs still don't work, especially Who Is It Now (saxophones really don't fit this). It isn't terrible, and I can still see some of these songs used during ice dancing; I can definitely imagine breathin and Fake Love playing during a tournament.

Your song choice isn't terrible, and this playlist wasn't bad, but Chilly Beginnings just doesn't end up fitting ice dancing. I don't think that The Greatest fits ice dancing, but it's possibly the greatest Sia hit (please don't hate me!). As will be told to Red, Sweet Victory doesn't make much sense for ice dancing. All in all, I still like the playlist for the most part, though I'm not a big fan of some of the songs, and I really appreciate your effort in the story, even if it has inaccuracies to ice dancing. But unlike the other playlists that have some flaws with the theme, there isn't much to redeem Chilly Beginnings except for my personal tastes and the description.

I give Chilly Beginnings a 4.5/10.

Frigisit by Headmaster Oofis

I know that Cat Kyle doesn't really like this one, but in my opinion a lot of these could fit parts of ice dancing. More specifically, pretty much everything that isn't 'dark'. I like Be The One and Stargazing; I can see both of them working for ice dancing honestly. Even if they aren't the actual type of songs used for most ice dancing competitions, they could fit.

With that said; there are some that don't work at all. I can see that you tried to split the playlist into dark and upbeat sections, but I don't see how ice dancing is dark at all. This isn't 'ice' and 'dance'; it's ice dance. If you wanted to split the playlist you should've had a slower and more elegant part, like Red did in Pirouette, instead of a sombre and depressing. The Night and Real Friends don't work. Can you imagine someone skating to them?

However, with that said, Frigisit has very good rhythm and flow. I like most of these songs; especially Here, even if isn't great for the theme. Stargazing was an unexpected song for me to like. Frigit moves well with a good rhythm and a good flow. Plus, the cover art looks great!

I give Frigisit a 7/10.

Winter Bloom by Zuki-Chan

This is my favourite playlist! I think that this playlist has the best flow and fits the theme the best out of everything, and I love the Undertale songs. Even when the genre switches, unlike how Red did it in Pirouette or Algodecathlon did it in Instrumental On Ice, the game music doesn't cut off abruptly and isn't repetitive, and it still flows well, respectively. Powder Snow surprisingly fits the theme very well as a slow, romantic midpoint from the previous themes. The transition from this to Snow Drive works well.

My main criticism with Winter Bloom is how a lot of the songs (for example, Snowy) are more of a relaxing type of song that you play on cold winter days, snuggled up in blankets, drinking hot soup. Some of these aren't really songs for moving gracefully on an ice rink; the Undertale songs are the main offenders here, although Uwa!! So Holiday♫ still fits. I will also add that, ironically, the Yuri On Ice theme is the worst song for this playlist since it's unlike everything else and the transition from this to Evgenia Medvedeva's theme doesn't work.

This is still definitely my favourite playlist. I also really love the pretty cover art, it looks graceful. I give Winter Bloom an 9/10!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:35:42 PM by Penguin022 » Logged

Not removing my signature until Flipline makes a CMC3:
AskJoe [Jun 30 11:19 PM]:   Flipline should make Cactus McCoy 3.
Kangablue [Jul 02 12:59 AM]:   I want Cactus McCoy 3 now Sad
Phil Swift [Sep 12 07:43 PM]:   They need to make CMC 3
Penguin022 was quietly listening to his own music while also praying for Cactus McCoy 3 to come out, which honestly, would be a good idea since I love the game personally.
Penguin022
Cactus McCoy 3 Supporter
Food Critic

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 19, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »

Playlist Results Part 2:
...Moana:

Pirouette by Red

I enjoyed the instrumentals in this playlist. I don't see them as too gamey; I could really imagine some of these themes being danced to in ice dancing, along with My Heart Will Go On. At first I was confused why you used a live version, but this live version has a very beautiful flute and features Céline Dion changing her voice at times; so perhaps you just liked it better. I am also glad that you chose to take risks here by digging up old music and seeing if it fit, it starts to sound better the more I listen to it.

The main issue is that you have a very choppy flow. Pirouette features many different genres, almost none of which work together. Occassionally couplets will fit together, such as Twilight Serenade to Lumiose City, and Sakura Blossoms to Shoal Cave, but the songs after them are jarring, especially since the videos that you used for the Pokémon themes cut off abruptly. For example, Parasail is a fun and bubbly theme, but does it really work after you're interrupted while listening to the elegant and classy Lumiose City? My other complaint is that you used Sweet Victory, which doesn't fit ice dancing at all, and made Crowning Achievement seem jarring as well even if it's a good piece that fits this theme. I decided against detracting points for repetitiveness in Falling Snow and Sakura Blossoms since I see that there are no shorter versions out there.

Apart from that; I like most of this playlist on its own, and I can see how a lot of these could be played during ice dancing. I like how we open up with Twilight Serenade and Lumiose City, and the middle section from My Heart Will Go On to Diantha's theme, while not having the best flow, is great. After listening to this a second time, I have to say that Diantha's theme is actually a really good choice for this. It's elegant, but upbeat and inspiring.

Pirouette wasn't bad, but there are things that you could improve on next time. Try listening to the playlist yourself (I know that you didn't listen to it together; you should). Props to the French theme and the cover art, it looks nice with the story! I give Pirouette a 7.5/10.

Ice With Style by Gato

Ice With Style was, surpisingly, very pleasant to listen to! I don't recognise most of this playlist, but I can definitely see almost everything fitting ice dancing here, from warmups (You Want Everything) to a heated semifinal competition (Hong Kong). I really love Eternal Ice, it fits perfectly and sounds lovely! I like this type of instrumental music used in lots of playlists; it conveys emotion well, and fits ice dancing, where the music isn't at the forefront but at the back.

Even if I don't know most of these songs, they're great, and I found some great new pieces such as Eternal Ice. Total Eclipse Of The Heart was nice to see, I personally enjoy this song and it absolutely fits ice dancing. Bonnie Tyler's deep, calming voice is soothing. And my absolute favourite was Thousand Years; it's Christina Perri at her best and it fits ice dancing very well.

However, I have to agree with the other judges; Ice With Style, while being great and fitting the theme well, does not have enough variation or risk-taking. It's quite stale and, from what I know of your music tastes, what you already listen to; everything flows into one another, but only because it's all from the same genre. Most of these use a piano and are at a very slow tempo; it makes the playlist boring towards the end.

I am also deducting points for not having an actual description of the playlist and using a rather basic stock image of skates for cover art, since those make a playlist. I give Ice With Style a solid 8/10.

Glide On Ice by jbvann05

I understand what you were going for here, and this is in no way a terrible playlist, but just because a song is motivational and encourages you to get the job done, or the song is about dancing, it doesn't necessarily mean that it'll work in ice dancing. See: Chilly Beginnings.

However, you still did a decent job. Quite a few of these compositions fit the theme of ice dancing. Thousand Miles is actually a good song that works while still being upbeat, and towards the end, I'd say that Glide On Ice got better, having less motivational pop and more songs that fit ice dancing.

Despite that, most of these don't work, and the flow is...there, but it's not really good. Compositions such as I'm Like A Bird and Growing Pains don't really fit skating much. Try to imagine yourself gliding on ice to them; it's jarring. I do really like Growing Pains but it doesn't work with the theme. I enjoyed many of these songs so that's a plus, and the flow wasn't terrible, as some songs still transitioned well into one another.

Glide On Ice definitely isn't terrible, but it isn't amazing either. The album cover looks oddly blocky and the songs could fit the theme of ice dancing better, but I still enjoyed many of them. I give Glide On Ice a 6.5/10.

Generic Skating Music by Cinnablob

I really wish that you had put more effort into this playlist because, well; it's great! Generic Skating Music, ironically, probably fits the theme of ice dancing the best out of the others that we have reviwed. It is elegant, classy, and upbeat all at the same time, without failing to appease. Swan Lake and Once Upon A December are perfect for a graceful skate around the rink. The other great thing about Generic Skating Music is that there are some songs that switch the genre, creating a good, non-stale collection of songs to listen to. This is in stark contrast to a majority of the other instrumental ones, where most of them either didn't have good flow, or they did but the songs were all of the same type. Winter Bloom did a similar thing and it paid off.

Another plus for this playlist is that, personally, I enjoy this type of music. I absolutely LOVE any pieces based on Habanera. I forgot the name of it for a few months but keep having it stuck in my head; I enjoy playing it on the flute because of its difficult high notes that require a lot of effort to reach. Other pieces, such as El Tango de Roxanne, are pleasing to the ear and I'm glad to have found them. El Tango de Roxanne specifically fits very well near the end. I also enjoyed the Russian version of Once Upon A December, it's very graceful and the lyrics are beautiful and nostalgic! I wouldn't say that it fits the finale well, but it does make sense to be at least close to the end. It's a very beautiful song that fits ice dancing perfectly.

In the end you had a very good playlist but not having much of a description or cover art decreases the score. You should have invested more time into this because it's actually very well done. I give Generic Skating Music an 8.5/10.

Instrumental On Ice

A lot of these songs fit ice dancing very well, from a great beginning with Crystallize, to a more relaxing midpoint with Night Sky. But where Instrumental On Ice suffers is is the flow. Unlike most playlists, these songs all fit the theme perfectly well, but they really don't go well together. Instrumental On Ice is very conflicting, and could have been rearranged to fit better. We go from energetic to peaceful right away. For example, Halcyon would fit better towards the end. The calming piano of Night Sky transitioning to the sombre vocals of Requiem For A Dream sounds jarring, though both fit ice dancing very well. And then there's Two Steps From Hell, which is unlike anything before it and extremely clashing, but I still give points because it somehow fits ice dancing in a way.

At first I thought that that it would be rare to see mostly instrumental playlists even though they work better, in my opinion, it seems not. Still, I like how this playlist turned out. There were many themes that I enjoyed, such as Two Steps From Hell, Night Sky, and Halcyon.

The cover art looks decent but you really should have put more effort into this, because the final product wasn't that bad at all. I still think that it fits ice dancing in quite a few ways, but you could have rearranged the playlist in a way to make the transitions smoother and seamless. In the end I give Instrumental On Ice a 6.5/10.

Fancy Fibers by Louie

I...really don't have much to say here. No offense intended, but here goes.

None of this, with the one exception of Mr. Clean, fits ice dancing in any way. I understand that your idea was to do which songs you'd figure skate to, but ice dancing is a sport, with a specific type of music played, and in pairs.

However, this isn't all bad. Although you completely flopped with the theme you did good on your promise to have a very good flow and rhythm. The songs connected to one another well. This isn't really my type of music, but it isn't basic rap about girls, golden chains, and cars, so I won't be deducting points for that. I actually liked a few on the playlist, especially Mr. Clean (and not just because it's the only song that I feel could fit the theme). In the end, though, Fancy Fibers is better suited towards a personal playlist and not something to use during an ice dancing competition.

I am giving Fancy Fibers a 4/10. I am very sorry, but it just doesn't work. At all. It still has some redeeming qualities though.

Ice Dance Deluxe by NoRegrets

This is a really conflicting playlist. I agree with Cat Kyle; the beginning of this playlist is really good, along with the end, being far and away the best playlist that utilises lyrical songs. But then there's the middle section where you move away from upbeat, graceful ice dancing songs to mainstream pop. Before I discuss that, I would like to commend you for your choice of music apart from the middle section.

You see, Steal My Girl really does not fit this theme, though I can at least see an argument for You Belong With Me. Ice dancing is not necessarily romantic, though there can be a connection between the songs. Ice Dance Deluxe is really brought down by the jarring transition from the soothing melodies at the start, such as It's Cold Outside, to Steal My Girl and Use Somebody. The flow isn't amazing here, though it was great at the start.

Apart from that, you really did choose some great songs. It's Cold Outside fits ice dancing perfectly! Sk8er Boi isn't the best for the theme (though I can still see how it would work for warmups), but we all know how much I love Avril Lavigne, so you get bonus points for that. Dancing In The Moonlight is a good closing song for this, returning to the melodies of the first few songs.

In the end, I'll give Ice Dance Deluxe a decent 7/10. Good effort.

Perfectly Poised by Cosmic

Perfectly Poised is done quite well, but it falls short in its interpretation of the theme towards the end. Honestly, read my review of Ice Dance Deluxe by NoRegrets. It's almost the same here. You open up with well-fitting songs, such as Ice Dance and Quarter Past Midnight. But near the end we have Burn and Let It Go which don't really fit ice dancing. I've said it before; ice dancing is not slow and depressing.

I'm being pressured to send this in quickly so, whatever, I expect Penguin022 and Cat Kyle to have better reviews anyways. Personally I liked most songs here and the flow was generally well done so bonus points.

Perfectly Poised is a well-done playlist, but in the end, it fits a personal playlist, perhaps a figure skating one, more than being for ice dancing.

I am giving Perfectly Poised a 7/10.

Penguin022:

Phil Swift: 4/10

This playlist was kind of all over the place. First of all, it didn't really fit the theme. I read your story and still was like "eh...", although I guess the music told the story alright? To be fair, the playlist is supposed to be about ice dancing. The songs were kinda fun although over time I became more and more uninterested, and I felt like the transitions were becoming clunkier, especially in the middle section. Overall, I didn't feel like I wasted my time, but I wasn't enthralled by it either.

Headmaster Oofis: 6.5/10

I generally kinda liked this playlist. Most of the songs seemed to somewhat fit the theme at least, although I found the "ice" and "dance" thing kinda funny since it seemed like you were trying to cheat the theme. As I said though, most of the songs seemed to fit the theme fine, besides some songs like I Like That (which I really like but seems not at all close to ice dancing?) and Real Friends (which I understand was probably a "dance" song). Most of the songs were at least alright, besides Stargazing, which was hilariously annoying and sounds like any other song. Album cover was okay, I liked the title, and I generally thought most of the songs were alright.

Zuki-Chan: 5/10

First thing, great album cover. Second thing, playlist fit the theme. That being said, the overuse of the same artists was definitely a problem as it felt like you didn't as much time into ordering the playlist or thinking of tracks as you did with the album cover. The playlist felt a lack of energy for the most part, and next time I hope to see more effort put in, and less overuse of the same artists. BTW, why did one of the tracks sound like it was 5x speed? Laugh

Gato: 4.5/10

Everything about this was average, it fit the theme though. The biggest problem was that it was really forgettable, and didn't have much to distinguish it from the other playlists. Try seeing if you can give your playlist a very specific style.

jbvann05: 4.5/10

This playlist was alright, didn't completely buy a lot of the tracks being related to the theme. Also, before the playlist even started I thought I wasn't going to like I'm Like A Bird (I'm not a fan of Furtado's other work), and sure enough, it annoyed me more than any other track in this entire battle, and that's including Stargazing! Just wanted to rant about that song, otherwise the rest of the playlist was "eh...".

Blue: 5/10

Another one of the forgettable playlists, although I kinda dug the album cover and I liked that you were doing stuff outside of your obvious comfort zone.

Louis: 5.5/10

Lol dude, I liked the playlist but this had absolutely nothing to do with the concept at all lmao. The playlist was pretty good for the most part, I liked the album cover (besides "Louis") and I thought the playlist had a consistent and cohesive vibe. However, even more than the first round of last season, this had nothing to do with the theme. Watch out to really try to fit the concept in future playlists, as that seems to be your biggest weakness.

NoRegrets: 5.5/10

Another fairly average playlist, nothing notable about it, became more boring by each of the tracks, although at least this had more personality and felt like a specific brand than the others. I like how you package this, the layout makes it seem professional with the album cover, and I hope you continue with this trend of packaging music.

Rantaro: 6.5/10

This was pretty good, fit the theme well, all of the songs were good, transitions were generally good. But holy bloop were the songs long, you said you didn't even realize they were so long, and I think that you should definitely look at your runtime next time, this was excessive. One of the tracks was 14 minutes long lol.

Algodecathlon: 6/10

This was alright, had a bit of personality, fit the theme. Songs were kinda boring, but just as boring as most of the music in this round. I thought you did solid, don't be as hard on yourself next time.

Cosmic: 5.5/10

Good start to the playlist, but I felt like the songs were slowly becoming worse and worse. This seems to be a running pattern for you since I assume you choose your good songs first, and then your next songs kinda just get stuck at the end. Make sure the playlist is consistent, as I felt like each song was draining the energy more and more.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:35:50 PM by Penguin022 » Logged

Penguin022 was quietly listening to his own music while also praying for Cactus McCoy 3 to come out, which honestly, would be a good idea since I love the game personally.
Theo
Food Critic

fivehead

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 19, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »

Shocked
Gato
HAY PERO KEMOSION
Restaurant Master

Back to my origins [I Just Want To Live]

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 19, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »

I love those troll spoilers, the next time I'll reply before opening ;P

Long Signature:
The cookie lover has arrived!
StevenUniverse:
STEVEN UNIVERSE ARMY!!! Join the Steven Universe Army now by making you picture of steven universe or a signature about it!

Members:
1. Epic~Nerd RIP (We'll remember you)
2. Ataino
3. TheBlackberryGuy
4. GATO39
Participate on my fan Tournament: Mi Musica xD
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=20666.0

Don't forget to read my fanfic: Criminal Case Flipline Edition
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=20293.0

Get the rhythm with: Music Battle.
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=23064.0

Always have in mind:
¨"Totally agree,  need to try to respect each other here, and if there's a user someone just can't get along with, they should just not interact with that user.  Posting rants (whether "constructive" or not, and especially when not asked for) is just a form of harassment."
Matt                          2016

Survivor Rootings:
Survivor 30: Shirin
Survivor 31: Shirin, Stephen & Tasha
Survivor 32: Aubry, Cidney & Neil
Survivor 33: Hannah
Survivor 34: Andrea, Aubry & Cirie
Survivor 35: Ashley, JP & Roark
Survivor 36: James, Kellyn & Sebastian
Survivor 37: Gabby, Lyrsa & Natalie
Hopefully one of them makes it

Please vote ;-;
http://www.flipline.com/kcp19/cauxfb0xcam
Soup Mia
I am the egg man
Restaurant Legend

Colts Snom

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »

Playlist Results:
Thanks.

The forum wouldn’t be like this if they had just stanned Loona :pensive:
stan Loona
JEBZ Komics [Aug 28 06:34 PM]:    Brother E: Stan Loona
AskJoe [Aug 28 05:35 PM]:   @SpongeBob29 Stream Butterfly
Stan Loona
stan loona
Stan Loona Smiley
Juliana: It doesn’t matter if no one else believes in you. You only need one, and that’s yourself. #JuliStrong
Join the forum Discord! https://discord.gg/RHNdcbg
Penguin022
Cactus McCoy 3 Supporter
Food Critic

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 19, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »

k reload the page it's there now

yves
stan loona
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 19, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »

you're not funny

The same thinng, but with you thay you are askjoe.
Blue
Blue
Restaurant Legend

Hey there!

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 19, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »

Where are scores?

Smell ya later!
Dr. Phil Swift
Forum Meme Master
Restaurant Pro

RIP Juice

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 19, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »

Gotta love reading all your flaws you did in a span of 2 hours

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
PB&J Dip is the Pink Gold Peach of the holiday ingredients
I don't think anyone said that, but okay.
Even people from Wisconsin have limits.
Top 10 most surprised anime moments.
Now kiss me
Theo
Food Critic

fivehead

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 19, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »

yay
Dr. Phil Swift
Forum Meme Master
Restaurant Pro

RIP Juice

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 19, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »

Let's spam this if he does this again

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
Now kiss me
Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 19, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »

Welcome to the Flipline Forum Playlist Battle: Season 2, Round 2!

The top 8 competitors going into this round are Algodecathlon, Blue, Cinnablob, Cosmic, Gato, Headmaster Oofis, NoRegrets, and Zuki-Chan! Each participant will send in another playlist, this time with seven songs, to the judges to be scored again. The playlists with the four highest average scores will move on to the final round! You will get a hint for this round.

Round 2 Playlist Notes:

Your playlist should have a title.
Your playlist should have an "album cover".
Your playlist should have a description.
Your playlist must have exactly 7 tracks.
Your tracks should have a specific order.
You are allowed to have an artist appear more than once on a playlist, although contestants are discouraged from doing so.
You are not required to put your playlist into a service, but it would be appreciated. If you do so, please use Apple Music, Spotify, Soundcloud, or Youtube, and PM us the link to the playlist along with the information about your playlist.

If you have any difficulties or questions, PM Penguin022 or post here.

The theme is...

Autumn.

Hint:
We have decided that these words or terms describe autumn to us. You are under no obligation to appeal to these words, and may even get higher scores if you do what autumn means to you. It's all up to you!

Bittersweet.
Chilly.
Cozy.
Familiarity.
Golden.
Leaves.
Stormy.
Sweater weather.
Vibrant.

You have 72 hours to PM your playlist to Penguin022, me (Moana), and lajoie. Due September 22nd at 9PM EST.

Have fun!

Snom
Dr. Phil Swift
Forum Meme Master
Restaurant Pro

RIP Juice

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 19, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »

Autumn. The season where the trees bloop all over your yard

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
Now kiss me
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 126   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.