Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   
Print
Author Topic: Flipline Forum's Danganronpa Ranking  (Read 6806 times)
Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 12:25:10 AM »

i was joking
Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Check out /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »

I just wanted to clarify in case anyone was curious, it certainly doesn't hurt to be specific.

AskJoe [Oct 06 12:17 AM]:   Okay, so maybe I was wrong all along and God actually does exist.

Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »

Ranked [1.5]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16O-8H4SR6mCxsKhVWeDamLuxpHGPn2RW
Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Check out /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 10:19:26 PM »

Here are my thoughts on DR1's cast, in order of highest to lowest.
Spoiler:
Sakura Ogami
To start off, Sakura's design is the most unique of the original cast, and somehow it works. Her menacing glare and intimidating physique terrify other characters, and I think this is well done. Hifumi and Hiro in particular I remember being scared of Sakura. Sakura is pretty lowkey for a while, really for the first 3 chapters, but I still like what she has in here. Her blossoming relationship with Hina is a highpoint in the first 3 chapters for me, and it's one of the better defined relationships in Danganronpa. The main reason Sakura is this high is Chapter 4. Byakuya talks about a possible mole for a while, and the Chapter 2 epilogue shows us that there is one. The scene where Makoto finds out that Sakura is the mole is interesting. Unlike some other DR plot twists this one kind of comes out of nowhere, but it's still a good surprise that Sakura who's all about honour is the mole. Then, we get Sakura's suicide. Sakura's suicide is one of the most impactful moments of Danganronpa, all 3 games, and it's why she's number one. She cares about everyone around her so much that when she starts making them fight, she solves that problem with suicide. The fact that she wants to make things right with Hiro and Toko before her death and they try to kill her is heartbreaking, and it's the emotional height of DR1 for me. Sakura fighting from beyond the grave by letting Kyoko into the headmaster's room was good too, but her suicide note was very impactful.
Best Scene: Her suicide.

Aoi Asahina
Hina is just a great presence to have. She's so positive and cheerful, and at times I feel she almost represents hope better than Makoto. Her relationship with Sakura is cute, her love for donuts is a simple yet effective quirk, and the scene where she finds Alter Ego is well done. Of course, just being an MORP presence wouldn't put her in my Top 10, it'd put her right around where Celeste and Hiro are. The reason she's this high is her betrayal in Chapter 4. Finding out that sweet little Hina wants to kill everyone is a betrayal that hits 10 times harder than Sayaka's. You've gotten to know Hina so much longer than Sayaka, obviously, so finding out that she wants her friends executed is a shocking moment. The fact that she thought killing everyone was what Sakura wanted showed both how naive she is and how far she's willing to go for those she perceives as her friends. After Sakura's real suicide note is revealed, Hina goes back to being a fun presence, like when she's the happiest to see Makoto again after he comes back from the dead. A fairly simple character, but her betrayal and explanation made me cry, which is rare.
Best Scene: Trying to sacrifice everyone for Sakura.

Byakuya Togami
Byakuya is an bleep. There's really no other way to say it, but that's why I love him so much. He starts the killing game seeing it as how he beat his siblings to become the Ultimate Affluent Progeny; he will win, whatever the cost. Unfortunately, Byakuya finds playing the killing game with these "commoners" to be incredibly boring, so in true Byakuya fashion he spices it up. I love how he makes the Chapter 2 Trial so much harder for no good reason, just because he's bored. And although he's usually shown as being out of sync with the world, I like what he told Taka about judging people based off of your perspective. I love how Byakuya is essentially a cold case nerd, it adds some depth to his character without feeling ridiculous. His relationship with Toko is a major problem with him, but there are great parts to it. The scene where he coldly throws it out there that Toko is Genocide Jack is a great scene for showing how Byakuya acts. He will do what he wants, no matter how it affects anyone else. That's just how he's been raised. The climax to all of this comes in Chapter 4. In one of her only good moments, Kyoko shows Byakuya that everything isn't cut and dry like he thinks it is with Sakura's suicide. Byakuya is left speechless for once, and I love that. After this trial, Byakuya announces that he's going for the mastermind, which I think is a fitting end to his story. He changes his enemy from the other students to the one forcing him to play this unethical game, and that's character development.
Best Scene: Revealing Toko's identity for no good reason.

Chihiro Fujisaki
Chihiro is just really sweet, talking to him is just fun because of that. He wants to get stronger, so finding his dead body is particularly heartbreaking. Of course, if he was just a weak girl killed off for being an easy target she'd be around 30th or so, so why is she this high? Because she is actually a he. That plot twist sounded so silly at first, yet hearing his justification is just terrible. People making fun of him for being weak, so he pretends to be a girl? That's actually pretty compelling. Chihiro being motivated by the threat of his secret being leaked is great. I'll talk about this with Mondo, but it's extra sad that Chihiro died trying to better himself with someone he trusts. If that all wasn't good enough, Chihiro is essentially revived as Alter Ego. I love Alter Ego. I love how Alter Ego can't bring himself to not help, he must risk his life to save the students. When Chihiro is killed again, there's this feeling of despair, the kind that makes me love Danganronpa. Chihiro was too good for this world, so he was cruelly ripped from it.
Best Scene: Flashback with Mondo.

Mondo Owada
Mondo seems to be a very unorthodox choice for 17th place, but I can explain. Mondo might have the single best backstory in Danganronpa. His continued lie to keep the gang he and his brother built up and how that lead to his success is really compelling. Mondo is an extremely complex character. For the first chapter and a half, Mondo is basically just this tough biker musclehead. He attacks Monokuma, he attacks Makoto, he guards the crime scenes, he threatens anyone who antagonizes the weaker students. That's all fine. The reason he's this high is the reason he murders Chihiro. He's built up so much on the death of his brother, he'll be ruined if it gets let out. Mondo tells himself he's strong enough to forget, but he knows he isn't. He puts up an act to appear much bigger than he is. When Chihiro comes to Mondo because of his promises and perceived strength, Mondo doesn't understand. He thinks Chihiro is mocking him when he's actually idolizing him. Mondo killing in the heat of the moment is unique in Danganronpa, and the good kind of unique. I love how he stays true to his promise with Chihiro and obscures Chihiro's true gender by switching the crime scenes. It shows how he feels about his promises, and I love that. bleeping Kyoko and her pronouns.
Best Scene: Changing the crime scenes to protect Chihiro.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru
Taka is a great character. His talent sounds so ridiculous at first, and that's because it is. The Ultimate Moral Compass? Doing the Monokuma exercise, becoming bros with Mondo, becoming Kiyondo, asking the culprit to raise their hand, thanking Monokuma for teaching him about saunas, he made me laugh so many times. What puts him above Hiro is that his character is fairly consistent, and he's developed. After having no friends, he finally finds Mondo and the scene the following morning is one of my favourites. Taka is so heart broken when Mondo is the killer, and you can really feel his emotion. You feel bad for him, which you can't say for most characters. Just as he's getting developed, he's murdered over Alter Ego. Honestly, how can you not love Taka?
Best Scene: Discovering Alter Ego.

Celestia Ludenberg
I'd say Celeste has one of the best designs in all of Danganronpa. She's very excellent at making you feel uneasy. She's not doing anything really terrible, but something about the way she speaks and chooses her words puts you on guard, which I think is a great touch. I also love her relationship with Hifumi and how he forces him to serve her. The milk tea scene is great and I believe it's the first time we see the true Celeste. Speaking of which, I love how she has this whole manufactured persona. The clothes, the accent, the fake name, the game does a good job of making her mysterious in a good way *cough Kyoko cough*. Celeste's murder is kind of obvious and more of a Hifumi thing, and I hate how she says the Ultimate Moral Compass bleep her. For a gambler, her lies are easy to see through and she doesn't use any of her supposed good luck. I love how Nagito uses his talent, and I'll go more into that later. The last moment about Celeste I love is how she lies to herself to keep her emotions in check. Overall a strong character, but some important parts didn't land with me.
Best Scene: Showing the true Takeo Yasuhiro.
Worst Scene: Her murder plot with Hifumi.

Yasuhiro Hagakure
I love Hiro, I really do. He may have made me laugh more than any other character in the first game. Insisting that the killing game is a drawn out ceremony, his impecable penmanship, his story about the UFO, always being at least 30% right, I could go on for a while. However, he has no depth. His character is fairly inconsistent. The fact that he tries to kill Sakura feels too wrong for me. Also, by the end of the game it feels like we're dragging him along. He's very funny, but he gets frustrating by the end.
Best Scene: Getting trapped in the Robo Justice suit.
Worst Scene: Trying to kill Sakura.

Sayaka Maizono
Sayaka is a pretty good first victim. You're made to feel about her, then she's killed. What more could you really ask for? Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of what Sayaka does very interesting. Talking about her schooling with Makoto and stuff like that just isn't very interesting, and I find her voice extremely annoying. The running joke of her intuition is annoying. However, the reveal of her betrayal is set up perfectly and it's one of the best parts of DR1.
Best Scene: Betraying Makoto.
Worst Scene: "I'm psychic!"

Toko Fukawa
Toko is bleeping annoying. Her sexual remarks and self deprecation go too far. I like how there are two personalities in her, and a lot of Toko's best stuff comes from Genocide Jill. Unfortunately, the balance isn't quite right and we barely see Toko after Chapter 2. Genocide Jill can be entertaining, I guess, but the awkwardness and her relationship with Byakuya just don't sit right.
Best Scene: Reveal of Genocide Jack/Jill.
Worst Scene: Any of her self deprecation scenes.

Leon Kuwata
Leon was decently fun to talk to. He has one of the better designs in DR1, he has fine voice acting, arguably the best execution. However, he's the most generic first killer possible. Vaguely unlikeable and sympathetic at the same time. Sayaka's dying message diminishes the suspense too much for this case to be much fun.
Best Scene: Trying to throw off everyone at the trial.
Worst Scene: Trying to throw off everyone at the trial. It's... basically all he does.

Kyoko Kirigiri
Kyoko has no personality. She's the least charismatic character in the game, so a lot of her important lines lose meaning. She's mysterious for the sake of being mysterious, such as with her gloves. Every trial is just "wait for Kyoko to tell you the answer" which wasn't frustrating until I saw other trials where more people participated. When she shows personality, like talking about her father or learning he cared about her, she was fine, and if she was always like that I'd have her a few spots higher at least.
Best Scene: Shutting Togami down in 1-4 trial.
Worst Scene: Solving 1-2 in 3 seconds by Mondo's use of pronouns.

Makoto Naegi
Essentially a nothing character. The only reason he gets focus is because we're playing as him. He does nothing interesting, interesting things kind of happen to him, but still nothing specifically to him. They wanted the most generic character possible to maximize immersion I guess, but instead playing as Makoto just wasn't fun. I didn't notice this until Hajime showed more personality in the prologue than Makoto did in all of Danganronpa.
Best Scene: Distracting Monokuma to help Kyoko sneak into the office.
Worst Scene: Not telling Kyoko about Sakura being the mole.

Hifumi Yamada
Just a pervert. He causes major second-hand embarrassment and it's just not fun. Usually I like even the worst of characters when they discuss their talents, but not Hifumi. That's actually when I hate him the most, so how come his talent is the most talked about? It essentially leads him to murder! His scenes with Celeste are fine, but really not because of him. A poorly executed comedic character.
Best Scene: Demonstrating a backbone in Celeste's flashback.
Worst Scene: Taking control of the trash for unethical reasons.

Mukuro Ikusaba
The idea of a 16th student was actually pretty interesting, it was just handled in a boring way. She's already dead? That's kind of boring. The most nothing of nothing characters, essentially just a part of Junko's character. Ahead of Junko because in the limited time we have with her Mukuro is somewhat fun to talk to.
Best Scene: Nothing stands out.
Worst Scene: Death scene.

Junko Enoshima
Easily my least favourite character in Danganronpa. Any time she's on screen, I regret ever playing this game. She gets bored with herself? So do I. She's just a villain that can do anything for no apparent reason, that's not particularly interesting. Her talent is interesting, I guess, so I give her that. Her voice actress sounds like she had fun doing her lines.
Best Scene: Admittedly like Monokuma, so I guess that?
Worst Scene: Chapter 6 Trial. All of it. Thankfully she's essentially absent from everything else.

AskJoe [Oct 06 12:17 AM]:   Okay, so maybe I was wrong all along and God actually does exist.

Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 10:27:41 PM »

thanks for even filling me some memories of DR1 back then :v
Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 05:57:16 PM »

Updated for Ranked [1.6]

How NOT to rank up:
- Just... I don't want to hear things that doesn't have meaning. However, if that character seems less checked, then lemme know.

Spoiler:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:23:24 AM by Lilith » Logged
Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Check out /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »

I'm curious as to why you have Hina firmly in the trash tier, I never found her to be too bad.

Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »

I'm curious as to why you have Hina firmly in the trash tier, I never found her to be too bad.
I just recently checked her as per v1.7

v1.7:
Lilith [Oct 03 08:18 AM]:   v1.7
Lilith [Oct 03 08:19 AM]:   F Class: Fokawa, Togami, Yamada, Enoshima
Lilith [Oct 03 08:21 AM]:   E Class: Soda, Hagakure, Nevermind, Tsumiki, Yumeno, Momota, Akamatsu, Tanaka
Lilith [Oct 03 08:21 AM]:   D Class: Shinguji, Chabashira, Asahina, Yonaga, Fujisaki, Saionji, Nanami
Lilith [Oct 03 08:22 AM]:   C Class: Kuzuryu, Mioda, Ogami, Hoshi, Ishimaru, Komaeda, SHIROGANE, Hinata, Naegi
Lilith [Oct 03 08:22 AM]:   B Class: Amami, Pekoyama, Koizumi, Hanamura, Nidai, Owada, Kirigiri
Lilith [Oct 03 08:23 AM]:   A Class: Maizono, Kuwata, K1-B0, Iruma, Ikusaba, Fatgami/Twogami, Gokuhara
Lilith [Oct 03 08:23 AM]:   S Class [#2 - #5]: Owari, Ludenberg, HARUKAWA, Oma
Lilith [Oct 03 08:23 AM]:   SS Class: Meta Knight
Lilith [Oct 03 08:23 AM]:   Most Improved: Maki Harukawa & Tsumugi Shirogane [20 spaces]
Lilith [Oct 03 08:24 AM]:   Biggest Fallback: Angie Yonaga [8 spaces]

v1.71
F Class: Fokawa, Togami, Yamada, Enoshima
E Class: Soda, Hagakure, Nevermind, Tsumiki, Yumeno, Momota, Akamatsu, Tanaka
D Class: Shinguji, Chabashira, Asahina, Yonaga, Fujisaki, Saionji, Nanami
C Class: Kuzuryu, Mioda, Ogami, Hoshi, Ishimaru, Komaeda, SHIROGANE, Hinata, Naegi
B Class: Amami, Pekoyama, Koizumi, Hanamura, Nidai, Owada, Kirigiri
A Class: Maizono, Kuwata, K1-B0, Iruma, Ikusaba, Fatgami/Twogami, Gokuhara
S Class [#3 - #5]: Ludenberg, HARUKAWA, Oma
S+ Class [#2]: Owari
SS Class: Kirumi
Most Improved: Maki Harukawa & Tsumugi Shirogane [20 spaces]
Biggest Fallback: Angie Yonaga [8 spaces]

Looks Department: Maki Harukawa [SSS — 0.00]
Voice Crack: 4-Way Tie [Celes/Maki/Shuichi/Kokichi [SS — 1.00]]
Attitude Adjustment: Sakura Ogami [SS — 1.00]
Background Check: 2-Way Tie [Gonta/Sayaka [SS — 1.05]]
Relevancy Derivative: Kirumi Tojo [SS — 1.22]

Ranked v1.71
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A6R4yKtomRqt4G06MaKjDZjts9Fu27Ue/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:03:50 AM by Lilith » Logged
Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »

Tsumugi Shirogane (contains probably Spoilers):
Tsumugi Shirogane almost reminds me of how I usually act in a digital world.

Relativity Derogative:
I simply won't bother if I end up in a Danganronpa game, and I don't care if I survive or die, as long as I'm still alive in reality. I don't mind going onto streams and stuff, and I don't mind if that was fiction, the point is that I would friggin enjoy the part.

Despair? I already was. Why would you bother?

Why Junko Enoshima isn't moving up?
She [never] showed up until Chapter 6. That's what, though her views are much more sinister than those of Tsumugi's.

But what's with Tsumugi Shirogane for bloop sake?
Relativity to my own other persona.

Still, there's some more things that can be dig through her, but not as deeper than those of Top 3.

There's one fatal mistake why I don't simply go her up further was actually:
- As I said before, I would gladly place her up if those who die, doesn't actually die, like in DR2. But...

The ranking isn't even finalized yet though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:40:35 AM by Lilith » Logged
Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Check out /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »

Danganronpa Hurt and Heal has finished. Next I'll put up Save a Danganronpa Character.

Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »

Ranked 2.0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ipctdIL4dHNCbWOZlv_Q6GTyUqRUMLEu/view?usp=sharing
Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Check out /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »

After realizing that Keebo does consistently well in the games despite no one liking him I've decided to remove games and just use user rankings.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OPBoPVXBDjobTeAV_ZHhgvEoz4PgnR0KM4M55FbCqNM/edit?usp=sharing

Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »

Bye K1-B0 :p
Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Check out /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »

After 5 rankings, Gundham is safely in the lead. Good choice.

Mira
Taco Builder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

Ranked 2.5 will be submitted at #######. However, if anyone had balls PMing me why that character rocked or sucked [Tsumugi's case can be very hard to tackle on due to true feelings], do so.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:36:38 PM by Tsumugi » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.