Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   
Print
Author Topic: AskJoe and a second global mod please?  (Read 2699 times)
Pizzaccino
OC Maker
Global Moderator
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »

Look I’m sorry, but after the incident with Oofis' review topic with the Music topic, along with Abu’s and TCOMIB’s personal topics getting merged even though they were fine alone, and now with Joe banning Abu for an ASSUMPTION, I can’t help but feel like we need a second global mod. The issue with only one, active global mod is that the decisions can get one-sided due to it only being one opinion. Many users after the whole Oofis/Abu/TCOMIB incident have expressed wanting a second global mod in order to remove the possibility of bias decisions.

If I don’t make a topic about this issue, then most likely, it’s going to be ignored like last time.

Also, it’s on the Forum Discussion board since it’s a forum issue.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:43:28 PM by Pizzaccino » Logged

Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Visit /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »

Yeah, having two active moderators is a good idea as it gives decisions more input. A lot of forums this size I've seen have like 4 moderators for this reason.

AskJoe [Oct 06 12:17 AM]:   Okay, so maybe I was wrong all along and God actually does exist.

Join the Survivor: Krakatoa Discord server! https://discord.gg/2wYpgfW

The color of mood is blue
Snom
Restaurant Star

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:17:19 PM »

We really do need a second global mod. It would help the forum feel safer, and for decisions to be discussed before being carried out to prevent bias

Snom.
Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »

Many people here agree that a 2nd mod would be great. A majority of us don't want Joe demoted but rather just someone to work on decisions with him so I agree with this and hopefully Matt will notice the issue

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
PB&J Dip is the Pink Gold Peach of the holiday ingredients
I don't think anyone said that, but okay.
Even people from Wisconsin have limits.
Top 10 most surprised anime moments.
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
It’s to help transport the baby on vacations to Afghanistan, and to hide the baby when running from the police
That's not a fun fact that's a sad fact
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=58174.0 Please support this!
Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 09:19:15 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly. I mean no offense to AskJoe but his moderation style is nowadays extraordinarily sloppy and "do first, think later". These types of scandals never happened before the past year or so because all parties involved thought things through first. I am still shocked I was banned solely because of an assumption. That sounds very biased — and as we have seen from a message AskJoe sent to Matt, he clearly does not want me to be a board moderator, and the fact that the ban came immediately after I made a decision on behalf of the forum that Joe did not support, makes me wonder if it was just him trying to get me banned out of spite...

Anyways, I implore people to vote honestly and not strategically in the Forum Moderator Showdown so that we can get, say a top 10 or top 5 list of users Matt could consider or whatever. At the rate it's going it'll end up being me, Oofis, Pizzaccino, The color of mood is blue, and hash probably.

Snom
Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 09:22:20 PM »

AskJoe [Dec 21 11:18 PM]:   I also agree with the need for a second global mod.

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
It’s to help transport the baby on vacations to Afghanistan, and to hide the baby when running from the police
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
Malo
The KCP19 Runner Up
Restaurant Legend

The Mayor of Simpleton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »

I think this would be a good idea.
Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 09:25:39 PM »

We could also do three as an alternative to eliminate ties — or Matt could be the tiebreaker in the case of two which is also an good idea...

Snom
Ianiant
FC Maker
Better Than Papa!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »

As long as they're not hellbent on wanting me gone from here, I'm all good.

Nickito
/r/flipline Moderator
Food Critic

Visit /r/flipline!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »

but no users here are, so that's not a risk

AskJoe [Oct 06 12:17 AM]:   Okay, so maybe I was wrong all along and God actually does exist.

Join the Survivor: Krakatoa Discord server! https://discord.gg/2wYpgfW

Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »

Any mod that would want someone banned and not for any good reason would most likely get demoted after such an act, so I think you're in the clear lol

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
Pizzaccino
OC Maker
Global Moderator
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 09:28:17 PM »

I mean, the whole point is that we try to eliminate some potential chance of bias, or one-sided decisions from only one person. Having more people can eliminate some of that. So, that shouldn’t happen.

Pizzaccino
OC Maker
Global Moderator
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »

I also want to say another thing:

I’m not saying Joe is completely bad at his job, or that we should demote him; it’s just best to have more people working along with him.

Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »

I also want to say another thing:

I’m not saying Joe is completely bad at his job, or that we should demote him; it’s just best to have more people working along with him.
Agreed, if there's anyone who likes Joe and doesn't want him demoted, you shouldn't be scared of this idea since it's for helping Joe with his job as the lone global mod Smiley

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
CursedSkylark
The Almost Mod
Restaurant Star

Curses are Curses, and they live within me forever

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »

Dear Matt and everyone else reading this,

I am writing this to forward my support of this suggestion and expand on why this is a suggestion that would benefit the Forum as a whole.

I do primarily feel that albeit the moderation team is good enough as it is, activity wise, but recent decisions over the past month have been questionable, for example the merging of topics causing an outrage in the shoutbox in addition to the most recent case of a Forumer being banned for something that has been, as Danny has mentioned, an assumption. While this shows a severe lack of communication, it also shows that the moderators are doing what is in their best interest of the Forum. However, due to this lack of communication, the appropriate action sometimes is not chosen and thus, can cause controversy itself with the active Forum population.

In other words, the solution to improve communication levels in moderation is to add another Global Moderator. We already know magicmusic and D-Walker will most likely seldom appear in the Forum, meaning we will not see them for an extended period of time.  This means we have only one active moderator, with Matt, an admin, appearing from time to time, moderating the Forum as appropriate to the intended audience. On one hand, I do respect Matt himself has a lot of respect for Joe, thus being the reason why Joe is a Global Moderator, but on the other hand, it just makes it seem that Joe is the one calling the majority of the shots on the Forum sometimes. As a result, I see this lack of communication be apparent and thus proving to be one of the reasons as to why the Forum would benefit greatly from a second Global Moderator, to reduce the risk of controversial decisions.

Secondly, I wish to admit that there might be an argument that some of us are biased and thus would not be a good candidate as a Global Moderator in the case Matt decides that there would be another moderator. While this may be true, in some cases, it is not the case for everyone. There are definitely some of us who are neutral and would treat everyone the same way according to the rules. I know this, due to seeing other people, along with myself too, having moderated or have been an admin of a specific community. In fact, amid the concerns of bias, I believe that they will not be a main concern, should the appropriate person be appointed to this role. An obvious option would be to appoint one of the two current active Discussion Board Moderators and if needs be, appoint a new Board Moderator for that specific group of boards. Otherwise, you may wish to give these privilege to someone you trust to do a sufficient job in your eyes to be a second Global Moderator.

My final reason behind this is the fact that the moderation system is a little too small for the ever-growing active Forum community. I have been in other Forums, personally, and saw other communities of a similar size to this one in terms of an active Forumer base have around two or three active moderators, alongside one or two admins. According to this fact, this Forum meets this amount in terms of size, but does not meet this in terms of activity. This just means that the moderation team does end up perceived slightly ineffective when only one Global Moderator exists. In fact, as I have stated earlier, both magicmusic and D-Walker are unlikely to return to the Flipline Forum, as much as they would be welcome back and also most likely be warmly welcomed back into the world of moderation within this Forum, so a second Global Moderator in that case would also make sense. It just sounds as the right decision to finally have a new active population of Moderators, and thus, I will admit, that for that reason, a second global moderator would do the Forum justice.

I just wish to say that this came after I looked at Who's Online for about 15 minutes, suspecting something was going to happen, and it did, resulting in Abu being wrongfully banned after a warning due to posting a copypasta out of context in the Forum & Shoutbox Randomness topic. It was an assumption that it had been aimed at a fellow user named De Ja Vu. It was after me looking at this, as well as other Forumers noticing something wasn't right, that ended up in the ban's repeal. Those Forumers ended up persuading there was a flaw in the logic behind the ban, and thus, was a ban made based off an assumption. You can find my evidence to some extent being related to this in the Bans and Moderation topic, if it hasn't been deleted.

Overall, all of the aforementioned suggests that having a second Global Moderator would be beneficial to the Forum, as it would 1) improve communication between decisions in terms of warnings, bans and any other moderation, 2) despite concerns of potential bias, there is a significant amount of us who have either moderated or have been an admin of a community and 3) it would improve the active moderator to user ratio, and make it be on par with other Forums. In addition to this, it would also help clarify the meaning behind some specific decisions, as some users know more about context more than others. As someone had previously stated on the shoutbox, it would be best to at least message the user in question what they meant by a specific post instead of issuing a ban directly on the spot. With this, I shall conclude my argument, showing my support for a second Global Moderator.

I hope you will read this and make the decision you see fit, as the whole Forum believes in you making the right decision.

Yours, with kind regards,
Sky.

APPLY FOR SURVIVOR: KAZAN-RETTO - BLOOD VS WATER HERE: https://forms.gle/7QeCBccuGean2iBd6 (Season 9 of my ORG)
Fluffy Wolf is an adorable and fluffy wig
Hi, I'm Sky, otherwise known as what you see up outside! I'm also currently your local Forum News Reporter so watch out every week for my news stories!
My own Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/KQFBT6b
TWG Stats:
TWG XCIV: Morality: Won, Role: Brutal Wolf
TWG XCV: Revolution: Game Died, Role: Undecided
TWG XCVI: Flipline: Won (Last Player Alive), Role: Psychotic Wolf, MVP.
TWG XCVII: Lunatic Asylum: Game Ended Early, Role: Rascal Wolf

TWG XCVIII: Locked and Loaded: Lost, Role: Insomniac
TWG XCIX: Faraway City: Won, Role: Psychic
TWG C: Theory of Everything: Lost, Role: Human
TWG CIII: A Normal Day Outside: Won, Role: Coroner, Town MVP
TWG CIV: Lost Connection: Won, Role: Seer

TWG CV: A Sea-Sun of Visitations: Lost, Role: Human
TWG CVI: Dostoevetsky's Exile: Lost, Role: Anastasia (Arsonist)
TWG CVII: Age of Mythology: Lost, Role: Egyptian Human
TWG CVIII: Return to the Courtroom: Won, Role: Chief Justice
TWG CX: Kainu Mosir: Lost, Role: Kainu Wolf
TWG CXII: The Penitentiary: Lost, Role: Prisoner
TWG CXIV: The Lost Files: Lost, Role: Oracle
TWG CXV: Mirai: Lost, Role: Necromancer
TWG CXVI: Stan Loona Stream Butterfly: Lost, Role: Eidetic Wolf
Cursed Survivor Results:
Mato Grosso: 14/16 (Cáceres)
South Tyrol: 12/16 (Misurina)
Easter Island: 1/12 (Colours & Tribes Soon)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.