Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   
Print
Author Topic: Should I make a Forum Popularity Contest?  (Read 488 times)
Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »

I don’t get it

Snom
The color of mood is blue
Snom
Restaurant Star

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »

It’s your choice to check the topic or not  Wink

Snom.
Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »

http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=8109.0
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=7525.0

just gonna leave this here

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
PB&J Dip is the Pink Gold Peach of the holiday ingredients
I don't think anyone said that, but okay.
Even people from Wisconsin have limits.
Top 10 most surprised anime moments.
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
It’s to help transport the baby on vacations to Afghanistan, and to hide the baby when running from the police
That's not a fun fact that's a sad fact
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=58174.0 Please support this!
Ianiant
FC Maker
Better Than Papa!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »

It’s your choice to check the topic or not  Wink

Then why can't you and your buddies ignore me when I'm advertising my stuff?

Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2019, 09:08:54 PM »

Who are the "buddies"?

Snom
Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »

what do you mean, I've never seen anyone have a problem with your advertising

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
It’s to help transport the baby on vacations to Afghanistan, and to hide the baby when running from the police
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
Kaito
2019 User of the Year!
Global Moderator
Restaurant Master

Tanr's ready for the FC Games 2!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »

There was this whole thing one night where a few users had a problem with Ianiant advertising his FC topic too much after he mentioned it once

Check out my FC topic!: http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=44033.0
Wanna know something about me? Ask a question here: http://www.flipline.com/forum/index.php?topic=42379.0
My Icons:
Jan 1 2019 - Brick, Total Drama
Feb 9 - Blaise x Callisto
Feb 27 - Gundham Tanaka, Danganronpa
Mar 10 - Green Mask
April 9 - Onionfest Sarge Fan
June 1 - Professor Layton
June 13 - Ocean Throwing Blaise
June 27 - Animal, The Muppets
June 28 - Ocean Throwing Blaise... Again
July 12 - Cherry Pepsi
July 17 - Kingsley's Customerpalooza 2019 Entries!
August 8 - Ode Made It To KCP19!
August 28 - Akira, Wii Sports Gang
August 31 - Keaton
September 13 - My Art of Ode for KCP2019
September 18 - My Drakson Art
October 1 - Allan's Style H
October 14 - Glowflake by Pogo
October 21 - Michael Jackson Eating Popcorn
November 1 - My Keaton Art
November 12 - Kaito Momota, Danganronpa (name change to Kaito)
November 22 - Allan
December 26 - Tanner (FC Games 2)
February 16 2020 - Tanr (derpy Tanner)
Favorite Quotes:
Theo [Aug 28 07:11 PM]:   speedo your love for asian women is undying
The Lord yeeteth and the lord yoinketh away.
Scoobybay wouldn’t be like this if she had just stabbed Loona :pensive:
lol jay ate sugar like lololol JAY ATE bleeping SUGAR HAHAHA J8SUGAR HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Uh, Matt and Tony, I think Doritos copied Kasey O's earrings
First of all who are you
Abu 2 Electric Abugaloo
resto in cheesy pesto
Brother E: I was being SaRcAsTiC. Wink
ZZZZZZZEBRUUUUHH!
Oh my its H E L L A F R E S H
I want a lake of holy water and drown in it
Ianiant
FC Maker
Better Than Papa!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2019, 09:11:12 PM »

The day I created my archive topic

CursedSkylark
The Almost Mod
Restaurant Star

Curses are Curses, and they live within me forever

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2019, 09:17:44 PM »

I hate to be negative here towards you guys but yeah.....

I just have a bad feeling about this (and no this is not a cliche that would mean I did a sin) and well, I just don't wanna a) cause any arguments and b) influence a vote in a way that a happens. Also bias for sure is bound to come around I'd say but here's the thing, if it does happen, then I'd like every known active user, be it in one board or every board to be in it and with a fair chance of being in it.

I know I'm being serious and look at it on the worse side of things here, so as a neutral, here's the positives:

-We get to finally find out who users like best overall (don't we ALREADY have an idea of who this is?)
-We would be able to have some idea of demographic of a popular user, so someone can make a ridiculous guide about how to become popular by mocking the most popular users, even myself if needs be (don't take this seriously if I end up doing this as I'd do the guide as a joke lol)
-Errr- I've run out of positives already, help I guess? (I am being serious)

So yeah, my overall verdict suggests negatives are overshadowing the positives. People will take this as a big deal, fights might happen, bans might happen,  maybe permabans if things are taken too far (noting the Saburo incident, being my reference). Aren't like some arguments that have happened in Fan Tournaments enough maybe? It could even lead to people to not be able to see that board even it might be to that extent.

However, even with these negatives, they are subjective and might happen. I never said they will. The real chance of this most likely happening is slim as long as everyone takes it lightly as some fun. That is a big if, however, and I'm not too sure how well it'd work out. In other words, I'm not sure how anyone would take it lightly to know they are the least popular Forumer. I know for a fact I'd most likely cry my eyes out most likely and leave the Forum entirely - I'm sure other Forumers would have done the same should that have been the case, but once again, this is subjective.

There's just too many negatives for the positives to be able to balance out, unfortunately, so I'm taking the no side of the argument from a neutral perspective.

Please offer me counterpoints, and I'll hopefully try address them neutrally on what I think about them.

APPLY FOR SURVIVOR: KAZAN-RETTO - BLOOD VS WATER HERE: https://forms.gle/7QeCBccuGean2iBd6 (Season 9 of my ORG)
Fluffy Wolf is an adorable and fluffy wig
Hi, I'm Sky, otherwise known as what you see up outside! I'm also currently your local Forum News Reporter so watch out every week for my news stories!
My own Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/KQFBT6b
TWG Stats:
TWG XCIV: Morality: Won, Role: Brutal Wolf
TWG XCV: Revolution: Game Died, Role: Undecided
TWG XCVI: Flipline: Won (Last Player Alive), Role: Psychotic Wolf, MVP.
TWG XCVII: Lunatic Asylum: Game Ended Early, Role: Rascal Wolf

TWG XCVIII: Locked and Loaded: Lost, Role: Insomniac
TWG XCIX: Faraway City: Won, Role: Psychic
TWG C: Theory of Everything: Lost, Role: Human
TWG CIII: A Normal Day Outside: Won, Role: Coroner, Town MVP
TWG CIV: Lost Connection: Won, Role: Seer

TWG CV: A Sea-Sun of Visitations: Lost, Role: Human
TWG CVI: Dostoevetsky's Exile: Lost, Role: Anastasia (Arsonist)
TWG CVII: Age of Mythology: Lost, Role: Egyptian Human
TWG CVIII: Return to the Courtroom: Won, Role: Chief Justice
TWG CX: Kainu Mosir: Lost, Role: Kainu Wolf
TWG CXII: The Penitentiary: Lost, Role: Prisoner
TWG CXIV: The Lost Files: Lost, Role: Oracle
TWG CXV: Mirai: Lost, Role: Necromancer
TWG CXVI: Stan Loona Stream Butterfly: Lost, Role: Eidetic Wolf
Cursed Survivor Results:
Mato Grosso: 14/16 (Cáceres)
South Tyrol: 12/16 (Misurina)
Easter Island: 1/12 (Colours & Tribes Soon)
Snom
Restaurant Star

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »

Thank you for this. Just remember that the most popular user has the most responsibility. Abu is the shepherd of the forum and he is mocked for it. Truly sad.

Snom.
Snom
Restaurant Star

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »

Plus, we do TRULY need to know the most popular user for statistics

Snom.
Ianiant
FC Maker
Better Than Papa!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »

Most of the users said no, so this likely won't happen.

Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

dady wally

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2019, 09:27:08 PM »

Okay, look, I agree that a popularity contest wouldn't be received well (because last year I did one and it turned into a bloopfest), of course people would be opposed to such an idea. My problem is that people are taking this way too seriously. How is it not clear to you guys the reason this topic was made was because people kept calling the mod tournament topic a popularity contest? This just further proves how much people dislike Abu's topics, and there's no need to get so defensive about it and your pride of the forum and that "DISCORDERS ARE RUINING THE FORUM" bull ... Like stop please. Everyday I get closer and closer to just wanting to press that delete account button just so I'd have a reason not to come back to this mess of a forum

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
AskJoe
Global Moderator
Papa's Replacement

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »

Yeah! It’s people talking about their favorite users. What harm can happen? Just don’t get offended
You clearly don't remember the User Rankings topic.
CursedSkylark
The Almost Mod
Restaurant Star

Curses are Curses, and they live within me forever

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »

Thank you for this. Just remember that the most popular user has the most responsibility. Abu is the shepherd of the forum and he is mocked for it. Truly sad.

Okay when I mentioned the positive of a mockery guide, I honestly admit, it was going to be a good joke that we'd all understand because it'd just show what to do and what not to do as the most popular Forumers. In other words, should Abu be the most popular user, I would mock him, I'd admit, but then of course if I do, I wouldn't actually mean it in a negative way, but a way that is comically designed to make people, including the user I refer to, laugh, instead of make them feel bad. I probably would also seek people's permission to do it to them before I write it, too.

Also about the most responsibility, that is true to some extent, to be top of any list means you have a reputation and that means you have to protect it, as well as also making sure you are around. I agree with you here, having the most popular status means having a lot of responsibility. However, this responsibility is one that doesn't really take up anything, it is just trying to maintain the high status you have. For that, I admit, you are right, in a positive way.

Plus, we do TRULY need to know the most popular user for statistics

That is an undeniable fact, and a positive that needs to be mentioned. For statistics and records, this would actually be a good use of Forum History that we can save and archive in the Forum eventually. Having already been working on a spreadsheet for the mod tournament with Abu, I'm sure even if the popularity contest gets deleted as a topic, we can always have the spreadsheet to remind us of what took place.

In addition to this, I'd like to back up Phil's point of:

We have no current data about Forumer popularity at all. So that would be something people may campaign to change. I honestly see no bad reasons in doing that at all for that purpose.

Once again, it is other people's reactions to specific rounds and their own eliminations that scare me more than the motive. However, I'll just note that since the Mod Tournament has gone perfectly so far in terms of a lack of incidents (none to be exact, there has been some voiced annoyance for sure but nothing escalated), that the point might not be too relevant.

Okay, look, I agree that a popularity contest wouldn't be received well (because last year I did one and it turned into a bloopfest), of course people would be opposed to such an idea. My problem is that people are taking this way too seriously. How is it not clear to you guys the reason this topic was made was because people kept calling the mod tournament topic a popularity contest? This just further proves how much people dislike Abu's topics, and there's no need to get so defensive about it and your pride of the forum and that "DISCORDERS ARE RUINING THE FORUM" bull ... Like stop please. Everyday I get closer and closer to just wanting to press that delete account button just so I'd have a reason not to come back to this mess of a forum

That. Is exactly my point of the long paragraph. The "The real chance of this most likely happening is slim as long as everyone takes it lightly as some fun." - I personally have no problems about it happening for sure, myself, in case I'm a culprit of causing this in some sort.

It is clear to me however, that this topic is a joke in itself, but I'm still taking it mildly seriously for those thinking that it isn't. I have, however, also noticed this in terms of Abu's topics. Abu is apparently the most popular user on the Forum and is getting his own actions disliked because he makes a topic? Something just does not add up into this equation. How is someone so popular apparently getting hate for their actions when they're the person people want to be around on the Forum most? That contradicts my earlier statement of "(don't we ALREADY have an idea of who this is?)", but rightfully so. The truth here is, the theme of the poll itself. It isn't "who do you want to spend time with most on the Forum?", it's "who should become a moderator on the Forum?" These are two different things. Yes, I personally from a neutral perspective believe there are a few users who shouldn't be in the Top 20 of that but I don't complain about it. This is the only reason why some people believe this is a popularity contest. There's no real other defence other than that, though. In fact no one really is mad about the results at all because they don't believe it is much of a popularity contest in the first place. That's honestly all I can say without going off on a tangent and boring everyone here (I most likely am).

You clearly don't remember the User Rankings topic.

The one Oofis ran during his News tenure? I wasn't around then, unfortunately. All I know was it wasn't a ranking of popularity but contribution to the Forum during its early stages.

Also feel free to pass more counterpoints to even this response or the main one.

APPLY FOR SURVIVOR: KAZAN-RETTO - BLOOD VS WATER HERE: https://forms.gle/7QeCBccuGean2iBd6 (Season 9 of my ORG)
Fluffy Wolf is an adorable and fluffy wig
Hi, I'm Sky, otherwise known as what you see up outside! I'm also currently your local Forum News Reporter so watch out every week for my news stories!
My own Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/KQFBT6b
TWG Stats:
TWG XCIV: Morality: Won, Role: Brutal Wolf
TWG XCV: Revolution: Game Died, Role: Undecided
TWG XCVI: Flipline: Won (Last Player Alive), Role: Psychotic Wolf, MVP.
TWG XCVII: Lunatic Asylum: Game Ended Early, Role: Rascal Wolf

TWG XCVIII: Locked and Loaded: Lost, Role: Insomniac
TWG XCIX: Faraway City: Won, Role: Psychic
TWG C: Theory of Everything: Lost, Role: Human
TWG CIII: A Normal Day Outside: Won, Role: Coroner, Town MVP
TWG CIV: Lost Connection: Won, Role: Seer

TWG CV: A Sea-Sun of Visitations: Lost, Role: Human
TWG CVI: Dostoevetsky's Exile: Lost, Role: Anastasia (Arsonist)
TWG CVII: Age of Mythology: Lost, Role: Egyptian Human
TWG CVIII: Return to the Courtroom: Won, Role: Chief Justice
TWG CX: Kainu Mosir: Lost, Role: Kainu Wolf
TWG CXII: The Penitentiary: Lost, Role: Prisoner
TWG CXIV: The Lost Files: Lost, Role: Oracle
TWG CXV: Mirai: Lost, Role: Necromancer
TWG CXVI: Stan Loona Stream Butterfly: Lost, Role: Eidetic Wolf
Cursed Survivor Results:
Mato Grosso: 14/16 (Cáceres)
South Tyrol: 12/16 (Misurina)
Easter Island: 1/12 (Colours & Tribes Soon)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.