Pages: [1]   
Print
Author Topic: "Post Count" is a scam  (Read 178 times)
Oofis
Restaurant Legend

Cyan Squad!

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2020, 11:18:40 PM »

(sorry if this is too long to read)

Since hyperposting for the sake of ranking up seems to be a thing of a past (apart from maybe one or two stragglers), here's an issue I've wanted to expand on for a while now:

I have no problem with certain boards not counting posts, but wouldn't it make more sense if the post count was the actual number of posts that user has made in boards that count? Cypher is still the top poster with 56363 posts, but if you go to his profile and go to the oldest posts, you'll clearly see the numbers only go up to ~35k (and I'd put money on a lot of those being in boards that don't even count).

And that's not all - the following users also have a ridiculously inflated post count:
cypher - 56.4k (35.8k)
Abu - 49.8k (42.4k)
Resolutely - 37.9k (28.9k)
papa_fan - 37.2k (26k)
Soundbord - 25.8k (24.5k)
Kirby - 20.8k (19.2k)
Luke - 16k (12.7k)
D-Walker - 15.2k (9.3k)
Mystic - 10.7k (8.4k)
Xandra Will Find You - 10.5k (4k)
cozyhighway - 10.4k (7k)
As well as several others, but I'm sure you get the point

I have nothing against any of the above users, and I am not doing this to take advantage of these members, but if there is a convenient way, I would like to see everyone's true post count displayed (again, I believe the boards that don't currently count should not count - in other words the actual post count should be even less than the numbers in brackets/parentheses above).

Maybe this seems trivial or irrelevant but I kinda hate looking at the first page of the members list and seeing that people have 30k+ posts when they really don't, I feel lied to Hmm
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:46:56 PM by Pizzaccino » Logged

stan oofis stream flip hop
Dr. Phil Swift
The Shoutbox Master
Food Critic

when sushiria to go comes out first

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:30:21 PM »

Lol I have 20.2K posts in total but only 10K is counted

Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
1. nothings ever my fault, if you believe otherwise, then say hello to a fresh permaban
PB&J Dip is the Pink Gold Peach of the holiday ingredients
I don't think anyone said that, but okay.
Even people from Wisconsin have limits.
Top 10 most surprised anime moments.
Now kiss me
As a cow I sign
It’s to help transport the baby on vacations to Afghanistan, and to hide the baby when running from the police
That's not a fun fact that's a sad fact
No you.
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
let's get this bread
Matt
Hungry for Sushi
Flipline
Papa's Assistant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 08:24:46 AM »

If someone's Post Count is lower than their actual post count, that's likely from them posting in boards that don't count posts.

If their Post Count is higher than their actual post count though, I'm guessing that's from deleting some of their posts -- probably from moving topics to a non-post-counting board first so it didn't decrease their post count.

Unfortunately there's no way to re-count all users' posts, the only time that number can be affected by the forum is by making a post or deleting a post.  When users sometimes ask about making all boards count posts again, we'd be stuck with the same problem: All new posts after that point would count, but nothing could make their existing posts in those boards count towards their Post Count.
Abu
Snom
Radley's Rival

Snom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »

If someone's Post Count is lower than their actual post count, that's likely from them posting in boards that don't count posts.

If their Post Count is higher than their actual post count though, I'm guessing that's from deleting some of their posts -- probably from moving topics to a non-post-counting board first so it didn't decrease their post count.

Unfortunately there's no way to re-count all users' posts, the only time that number can be affected by the forum is by making a post or deleting a post.  When users sometimes ask about making all boards count posts again, we'd be stuck with the same problem: All new posts after that point would count, but nothing could make their existing posts in those boards count towards their Post Count.
Yeah, after the forum cleanups in 2017, all moderators involved began moving topics to boards like Off-Topic that don't count posts before deleting anything to avoid anyone being hurt by losing post count. This means that people lost actual posts, but their count remained the system. It's something really common on SMF, and I've noticed its prevalence.

Snom
yves
Forum President
Restaurant Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 09:33:21 PM »

also because forum discussion used to count posts

Choconilla is actin like an alt
Pages: [1]   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.