Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   
Print
Author Topic: Escapees [T] (Completed)  (Read 2612 times)
Lu
◢ ◤
Restaurant Master

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2020, 02:33:25 PM »

damn the rain

God Usopp [Aug 20 10:17 AM]:   costco is bestco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT9Q21sycyM
Phil
Or Philly
Food Critic

fake, plastic trees

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »

"Robin and Sophia stand outside, in Yves' backyard. Sophia stands a good distance away from Robin."

Social distancing during Coronavirus like a boss Cool

#GiveUsColoredBeltBucklesPLP
Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
I don't think anyone said that, but okay.
Even people from Wisconsin have limits.
As a cow I sign
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
*Brother E has a bruh moment.*
my chef's are Phil and Loona
TOTALLY! TOTALLY! It would be so kawaii, it would absolutely confuse the baddies, and Tony and Mandi would be impressed! They could use a pacifier and a rattle as weapons.
I AGREE 100%

KAWAII DESUUU!
yeri
Forum President
Restaurant Legend

ddaeng ddaeng ddaeng

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »

Chapter Eleven

12 hours.

Sophia returns the next morning and doesn't say anything about where she went. Nobody questions her. Leia is too focused on her blooming plan to even notice her arrival. She merely arrives, takes her phone, and leaves again.

"I'm on my way," she says to Robin on the phone. The two, after the previous night, have become fast friends. They are to take a walk together around Central Park and talk.

"Okay! I'm already there. Feeding ducks."

"You're not supposed to give them food," Sophia recalls vaguely from her memory.

"Oops. Already did."

Sophia finds herself laughing. It's weird how comfortable she and this girl are.

When she arrives, Robin is still ripping small pieces off a baguette and throwing them toward the ducks, who retrieve them happily. She stares in the water pensively and doesn't seem to notice Sophia's arrival. Sophia sits down next to her on the bench.

"Hey."

Robin nods in hello.

"What's on your mind?"

Robin shrugs. "Reality." she says. She straightens her posture and stands up. "Come on, let's go."

The two walk.

-

6 hours.

It is only midway through the day, and Kenny knows he's going to be in late. Work is just piling up and there is so much to do. He makes the preemptive decision to skip lunch and just have a late dinner, if he does eat. He just has so much work to do.

He's been inactive on social media for a little while, focused on the ever constant flow of work.

His mind wanders frequently. He can't focus.

He thinks about Robin. He wonders what she's doing. Why she's living such a menial life. He hadn't heard of her until that moment on the boat.

He thinks about Sophia. He hates Sophia. She's, frankly, a bleep. But she's still frequently in his life, and he can't deny that she helps him when reality is so screwed and the lines separating reality and his head are so blurred. She is grounding, as annoying as she is.

He shakes his head.

He must work.

He knows nothing.

-

4 hours.

"Are you okay? It's only been a few hours and you're really quiet."

Robin shrugs. "I just...remembered something that I don't want to remember."

"Is it about the Citadel?"

Robin shakes her head. "No..." she trails off. She doesn't elaborate, doesn't look at Sophia. She just stares straight ahead and keeps a brisk, all too steady pace.

"Do you...want to talk about it?"

"No."

"Oookay then."

They walk in stiff silence. It's the complete opposite of the prior day where they just talked. Sophia had known Robin a little bit while she and Kenny had stayed in their house and she knew the girl was meek, but she wasn't so distant as she is now.

They walk through the park. People are there. People are laughing, people are smiling, children are running around.

"Robin..."

"What?" Robin snaps back.

Sophia sighs. "Look, I can't just walk around with you and you act like this toward me. What's wrong?"

Robin stops and turns to face Sophia. "You really want to know?"

"Yes. Are you okay?"

Robin laughs. "No, I'm not okay."

"What's wrong, then? Is there anything I can do to help?"

Robin shakes her head, still laughing. "Sophia, I'm dying. I just remembered that I have a month left."

Sophia stands there in shock. She doesn't move, but her eyes search Robin for a tell. Her face falls when she realizes the girl is not lying.

"How?"

Robin shakes her head. "I don't want to get into the details, but two months ago the doctor said I had three months to live. And now here I am."

"Robin..."

"Don't. Let's just walk, okay?"

Sophia doesn't protest. They walk.

-

Leia leaves, armed and with a mission.

-

1.5 hours.

That night, Sophia returns home. It rains. All is quiet. Too quiet. It's just Paco and Ted and Cosmic in the living room.

"Where's Leia?" she asks.

"Leia's not here." Ted replies.

"...what?" Sophia's heartbeat begins to increase.

"She's not here. She just left."

In a flurry, she asks, "Where is she? Did she...did she tell you where she was going?"

"No, I-"

"Guys!" Sophia yells. "Do you not get it?"

"What am I supposed to get?" Ted snaps.

"What if she left to kill Penguin?"

They pale.

"I-...Stay here, in case she comes back. I'm going to try to find her."

Sophia runs to the closet and digs through it, past all the spare blankets and pillows and containers of various things. Her hands stumble on a cool metal box and she hurries to unlock the combination lock. 15-35-25. In the box is a gun. Her mind is running with so many thoughts and she takes it without thinking. Just in case, just in case. She shoves it in her pants.

"I'll find her. Just...call me if she comes back." she says. "I'm probably panicking over nothing. Just...don't worry. I got it." She leaves the apartment in a hurry.

Ted and Cosmic look at each other, dumbfounded.

Cacti [Apr 17 12:28 PM]:    Yves
Cacti [Apr 17 12:28 PM]:    I love that word
Cacti [Apr 17 12:28 PM]:    I don't know how to pronounce it
Cacti [Apr 17 12:28 PM]:    But I love it
yeri
Forum President
Restaurant Legend

ddaeng ddaeng ddaeng

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2020, 06:27:59 PM »

Chapter Twelve

They both agree that she does not got it, but what can they do? They can't stop Leia. You can't save her. She's too far gone.

-

Robin has one month left to live. She leaves her room and makes a decision.

She knocks on Yves' door.

"...granny Yves?"

"Come in, sweetie." she hears Yves say from the other side. "I'm in here."

Yves is lying in her bed, just her bedside lamp on. She looks tired. The wrinkles on her face are ever so pronounced. "What is it?" she asks, noticing Robin's facial expression. "Come, sit."

Robin sits on the side of the bed and looks Yves in the eye. "I have to tell you something."

Yves nods. "Go ahead."

Robin takes a deep breath. "I'm not your granddaughter."

Yves doesn't respond, just furrows her brow ever so slightly.

Robin spills it out in a bunch of word vomit. "I lied to you. I took advantage of your mental state and lied to you. I'm not your granddaughter. My name isn't Jessica Summers. You've never met me before. I lied to you and took advantage of you so I could stay in your house and have a roof to live under. I'm so sorry."

Yves' facial expression doesn't change. She blinks. "Oh." is all she says.

"I'm so sorry, Yves."

Yves closes her eyes. "One night." she finally says. "You have one night to stay here, and then I want you out of my sight when I wake up. I'm not going to tell anyone. You will leave and I will never see you again. It will be as if nothing has happened."

"Yes, ma'am." Robin says demurely. She leaves the room and says again, "I'm so sorry." before closing the door. Yves doesn't respond. She doesn't even open her eyes.

-

Sophia runs to the bus stop in the rain and sees, in the distance, the bus with its neon lights stating that it's going to the city square. She's not far behind, but she can't wait for the bus. So she runs.

It is dark outside and Sophia's all black attire doesn't brighten anything up. She is breathing hard and loud, and normally wouldn't have any of this stamina, but she has to get there before Leia does anything bad. Before she does something unfixable. Before she ruins everything they've built.

"Hey!" someone yells as she brushes past them. Luckily it is night, so there aren't as many people walking about. She has more room to run. She hopes her phone will ring and that all of this will be for nothing. That Leia just left to go to the store and that she returned and that all was fine. Then she could actually talk to her and all would be fine. She could fix it.

But her phone never rings.

Sophia knows how to get to the city square on foot. She's done it so many times already, to talk to Penguin. She knows all her little shortcuts and hopes that helps her get there first. She hopes the bus is stuck in a lot of traffic and that Leia is being held back.

What if she's too late? What if it's all for nothing?

She doesn't think she's felt this much fear even as an Anomaly.

-

Leia gets off of the bus, switchblade in her hand, slipped up her jacket sleeve so nobody notices a thing.

She walks calmly through the city square, making her way to the looming skyscraper in the distance.

She has no cares. She is going to complete her mission. She is going to get her revenge.

The rain pours mercilessly. How fitting.

-

When Sophia reaches the city square, there is no bus in sight, in front or behind her. She hopes that means the bus was caught in horrible traffic and that she is way ahead of Leia, but she still runs through the rain, feet splashing in puddles, face and hair wet.

When she arrives at the building, she has to pull the door open. The automatic entry system is off now due to the late night.

She looks up, and her heart sinks.

The telltale red dot on the security camera isn't there. They're disabled. Leia is there. She's already turned off the cameras.

Sophia doesn't waste her time with the elevator. She makes a break for the stairwell and throws the door open, before running up the stairs.

-

Leia walks confidently out of the elevator on the level the directory stated Kenny McCoy's office to be on. She flips open her switchblade and pushes the door open. He is still in there, at his desk, working diligently.

"Hello, Penguin." she announces, smile bared on her face. "It's been a long while, hasn't it?"

-

Sophia continues running up the stairs. At this point, she's exhausted. She trips on one stair and falls, arms extended for balance. There is no one else on the stairwell. She cries out, but makes herself get up again. She has to stop this.

-

A knock on Robin's door. She opens it.

It's Yves, arms full with a bundle of folded clothes.

"...oh." Robin can only say.

"You weren't a bad fake granddaughter," is all Yves says, and pushes the bundle into her arms before turning around and leaving, closing the door behind her.

Robin looks down at the clothes and inhales. It smells like Yves' detergent.

"...thank you." she whispers.

-

At the sound of her voice, his head shoots up.

"No." he whispers, refusing to look in front of him.

"Haven't you been doing so well?" Leia says sharply. "Look at this office." He hears footsteps, slowly getting close. He reaches down and opens his bottom drawer, before quietly grabbing the revolver.

"Look at me." Leia barks. He finally looks up at her. He doesn't know what he expected her to look like, but it is not this. "You thought I was dead."

"You're not here." he murmurs.

She laughs, but it is not genuine. It's a cold, malicious laugh.

"I'm right bleeping here, and you're going to pay for everything you did to me."

yeri
Forum President
Restaurant Legend

ddaeng ddaeng ddaeng

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »

Chapter Thirteen

Robin packs clothes tightly into a backpack. She needs to fit as many things as she can in here. She feels terrible, because she's already used Yves enough, but she has to take some things essential to her survival. Even if she isn't going to make it.

God, what is she doing? What's the point?

It's stupid, but she wants to live as long as she can despite the time left estimate weighing her down.

She has nowhere to go. She will stay the night and leave early in the morning.

Robin collapses on the bed Yves had let her sleep in for these few months she's been at her house, and she cries.

She's a terrible person. She manipulated and used an old, senile woman for her own personal gain. As bloopy of a person as Penguin is, at least he worked his way up and forged an elaborate past. Robin just lied and said she was a certain Jessica Summers and Yves never questioned her.

Robin closes her eyes and tries to sleep, for this will probably be her last night sleeping somewhere comfortable. Her future is uncertain, so she just wants to try and get that eight hours of sleep.

She won't even get that. She's losing everything.

-

Ted and Cosmic haven't moved, on alert, waiting for Leia to return. Their phones are beside them, ready to call Sophia if Leia does return. There is nothing they can say, nothing they can do, except wait.

All they want is for the girls to come home and for this to all be moved past. They just want a calm, stable life, and they want a peaceful compromise. A happy ending to this mess.

But there are no happy endings. Just reality.

-

"You remember, don't you?"

Penguin's hand tightens around the revolver. He doesn't know how close she is to him, but her voice is louder than it was when she made her grand entrance.

"You remember how I watched you kill that poor, innocent man and then you orchestrated my sudden disappearance from the group of Detainers I had grown up with? How while you basically had me kidnapped you groomed and manipulated me? Hell, how you groomed and manipulated poor Robin Magey? I know what you did."

"Don't you bleeping bring Robin into this." he says lowly.

"I can bring whoever the hell I want into this!" she yells.

A bullet clicks into place.

"And then you sold me out to the Escues." she says softly. "You didn't even have the balls to watch them torture me. You sold me out and you sold them out and you were too much of a coward to watch it go on. And look at you now. A shining beacon of politics." She stares at him in contempt. "LOOK AT ME!" she shouts. "bleeping LOOK AT ME!"

He looks up and sees her, standing right in front of his desk, eyes boring down on him. He takes his chance and yanks the gun out of the container and shooting in her general vicinity.

He misses.

And it all goes to hell from there.

She screams and swings a knife in his face and he pushes back and rolls his chair backwards, before getting up and trying to get around the desk. She goes in the same direction, playing cat-and-mouse. She has the physical upper hand, he knows this. If she grabs him he will be vulnerable. He tries to shoot her again and misses again.

"I'll-I'll call security-" he tries to threaten.

"Nice try. No cameras, bleep." She doesn't mention that he's a painful distance away from where he could call security, anyway, but they know it.

He tries to run and she grabs his arm, the one without the gun, and pulls him and slams him against the wall. With the butt of her knife she knocks the revolver out of his hand onto the ground and kicks it across the room, past his desk. He pushes her off of him and tries to escape, and now they're on opposite sides from where they were at the beginning. She is behind the desk, he in front of it.

But she just jumps over the desk and whips around him before he can move and pins him against the desk, dangling her knife right above him.

"You're going to regret everything you did to me, and you're going to feel every little bit of the pain I felt." she promises. "You can't run away now." This is true; he is completely unable to run away.

"This isn't going to fix anything." he says. "You'll get your revenge, but now what? You'll be chased all your life. There's not a point to you doing this. The authorities will always be after you and you will never be able to feel the satisfaction of a revenge kill."

She says nothing.

"You're pathetic." he continues. "You could start your life all over and have an actually good life, but instead you can't get over your grudges. You're a follower, you always have been. That's why you were a Detainer, isn't it? Because you'll never be able to be a leader, because you don't have the capabilities. Instead, you lived in Lusamine's shadow, like every one of them. At least I tried to do something about it! You did nothing. You submitted to his control, to bleeping Matt Neff's control! And now you're trying to take your own destiny, but it's too late. Even if you still do this, it's not going to change anything, and you're going to spend the rest of your probably short life in a state of perpetual disgrace. Because you're pathetic and broken and you always will be."

"Shut up!" she yells, and stabs him in the chest.

"No!" A bloodcurdling scream sounds far in the distance, and then a loud crack. The bang of a gun firing.

Leia crumples and falls to the ground. Blood pools out of the back of her head.

Sophia Amber stands at the entrance to his office, handgun still pointed right at him. She doesn't realize what she's done.

It's too late.

She drops the gun and sinks to her knees.

"What have you done?" she whispers to herself. "What have you done?"

Penguin begins to laugh. She looks up at him, staring right at her, laughing despite the knife in his chest.

"You thought...you thought you could save me. You thought you could save her. Look who's too late now."

"No..." she whimpers, watching him continue to laugh, blood streaming out of his mouth. "No, no, no..."

Her eyes roam the room. Leia is dead, bullet in the back of her head. Penguin still laughs at her, laughs at her failure. Her eyes move to the ground in front of her.

"It wasn't supposed to be like this..." she says, but it's all for nothing.

She gets no response except a faint laugh still in the background, and then wheezing and coughing, and then soon nothing. She doesn't look at the bodies again. Slowly, she gets up and grabs her gun, and leaves the office.

She brushes past a janitor on her way out of the building. A witness.

When she leaves the building and returns to the square, she runs. She runs to the one person her mind can think of, the one person she thinks no one will look for, the one person who has nothing to lose.

Robin Magey is rudely awakened at about 3 in the morning by a hysterical woman, drenched in rain, begging for help.

yeri
Forum President
Restaurant Legend

ddaeng ddaeng ddaeng

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2020, 01:50:46 PM »

Epilogue

Roughly two weeks later

A letter.

Dear Ted and Cosmic,

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? I’m sorry I couldn’t have gotten to you sooner but it’s been kind of hard. I hope you understand.

Unfortunately, this is my first and last letter to you. Obviously I’m not going to tell you where I am, but I wanted you to know that I am fine. I am running, but I am fine. I can’t explain to you what happened but you must know of this.

I was talking to Penguin for a while before the incident, for about eight months of random, somewhat frequent meetings. We just talked, it was nothing more than that. We were never friends, but we had mutual understanding of our situations. I didn’t know how to talk to the you about the Citadel and so I went to what I thought was my only option. It was him.

I had been talking to him for about six months when Leia arrived and told us she was going to kill him. Unfortunately, his public standing and public presence made him an easy target. One Google search could tell her where he was. From then on, I had to play both sides. I couldn't tell her not to kill him because she'd be suspicious, and I couldn't tell him she was planning to kill him because I knew he would lash out and I knew he would just make it worse. Either way, something bad was going to happen, and I tried my best to minimize it. But, in the end, I made the worst mistake and they’re both gone and I can’t bring them back. I couldn’t save either of them. I tried, and I failed, and it was too late, and the blood is on my hands as the person still alive. So I left.

You might be wondering if I regret doing it. To answer your question, I don’t at all. I don’t regret killing her. It was a rash decision fueled by fear and hysteria, but ultimately not one I regret. I’m saying this so bluntly because I trust you not to reveal this information to the authorities. I’m taking a huge risk already even sending this to you (if I send it at all), but I think you deserve closure because you must be confused and wondering what the hell happened and why I didn’t tell you about it.

Thank you for understanding. I hope to see you sometime again soon but this will most likely be impossible.

Please let me go. Please move on.

S

-

She seals the envelope shut and leaves the library, letter in her hand. Robin is outside, waiting for her in a Jeep (the only reason this car was chosen was because it was the only one in the parking lot that was left unlocked, and somehow they managed to hotwire it. It is temporary. All things have been for the past days). Sophia gets inside.

“You have every option to turn back.” she says. “This is probably your final chance.”

Robin shakes her head quickly.

“Robin, are you sure? You really want to spend your last few days on the run with me?”

Robin looks at Sophia, a firm expression on her face.

“There is nothing for me there.” she says resolutely. “If I go back, I will die quietly and uneventfully. I would rather spend my last few days with a friend.”

Sophia is quiet.

“My worry is if you’re going to be okay.”

“I’ll be fine.” Neither of them believe it.

“Sophia…I don’t want you to lie to me. After I die, you will be alone for probably the rest of your life. I want to be sure you’re going to be okay.”

“I’ll be fine.” But there are tears brimming in Sophia’s eyes.

“Sophia…”

“What?” she snaps, tears dripping down her pale face. “I killed her. I killed her and it was too late. I couldn’t even save him, and why do I feel guilty about that? We were never friends. He never liked me. But I thought I was doing the right thing. Did I do the right thing?”

Robin is now the quiet one. She breathes quietly through her nostrils and then speaks. “I can’t tell you if you did the right thing or not, Sophia. That is something for you to decide. I just want to know if you’ll be okay after I die.”

Sophia shakes her head. “Of course I won’t.” she says bitterly. “Everyone I love leaves.”

Robin is silent.

“I haven’t known you for long, Robin, but I love you like a sister. You’re someone I can just talk to without fear of judgement. I don’t want to lose that, but I know I will.” She smiles at the other girl, but it’s forced. “I won’t be okay for a little while, but I will get through it. You don’t need to worry about me.”

Robin nods.

“Okay.”

The two get in the Jeep and drive away. The letter sits on the dashboard tentatively, not disturbed by anything. Apprehension hangs in the air. It has been for the past few weeks.

Yet all is quiet.

fin.

yeri
Forum President
Restaurant Legend

ddaeng ddaeng ddaeng

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

Okay, a little explanation, since I'm sure it was very rushed.

I had more planned for this, but it was all random ideas that eventually faded away. I kind of lost interest with this story because I had the ending planned definitively and that was it. I felt like a lot of what I was gonna write was filler, which was why I kind of jumped to Leia executing her plan so quickly.

The ending is not supposed to be satisfying. I hope it isn't. I never planned for it to be a good ending. The characters all conflict too much for it to be a happy and realistic ending. Leia is too stubborn, too determined, and Sophia is too scared to tell her or Penguin what the hell's going on. Penguin is too arrogant to plead for mercy, so naturally he started mocking her and attacking her character even though she clearly had the upper hand (Idiot). Leia probably wouldn't have given him mercy, anyways. Ted and Cosmic are too out of the loop and they are too distant for Sophia to feel as if she can confide in them.

I actually wrote the epilogue about...two weeks ago? It's just been sitting in my computer notes app. So I had planned for Robin's time to be limited and for Sophia to be alone in the end with an uncertain future. Whether the letter is sent or not is up to your interpretation.

There is no medical backing to Robin's limited time to live. She is just dying. This is derived from her powers. Ultimately, a power as powerful as Robin's was is taxing and will take away her life in the end. By the time she tries to use it again to demonstrate for Sophia, it is dormant and she is far too weak to perform it. I did not make this clear at all which is why I'm explaining it now.

I hope this clears up more of the actual story and the ending because I know it's pretty bad and pretty rushed. Can you tell I don't plan a coherent plot? lmao

The color of mood is blue
Snom
Restaurant Star

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »

I can’t believe how fast you made this! It was a really good read, I liked it quite a lot. You did an amazing job winter!

hEllo teeewedgie I’m excite d to play a fun game of twg goood noiiiiiiggt
Phil
Or Philly
Food Critic

fake, plastic trees

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2020, 04:23:24 PM »

nice job on this fan fic broo Cool

#GiveUsColoredBeltBucklesPLP
Forum Guy Funny Moments:
Do you stan Loona?
I don't think anyone said that, but okay.
Even people from Wisconsin have limits.
As a cow I sign
mom's angry duck
"Bruh! You stupid."
*Brother E has a bruh moment.*
my chef's are Phil and Loona
TOTALLY! TOTALLY! It would be so kawaii, it would absolutely confuse the baddies, and Tony and Mandi would be impressed! They could use a pacifier and a rattle as weapons.
I AGREE 100%

KAWAII DESUUU!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   
Print
Jump to:  

Sorry, you must have JavaScript enabled to use the Flipline Forum.